MV 34 - 4 blade props

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
Charlie34E
deckhand
deckhand

Re: MV 34 - 4 blade props

Post by Charlie34E »

I now have avout 100 hours on the new props--4blade for 75hp. Looks like I have picked up about 2 knots at about 3200 RPM. I can't tell if there is any difference in engine noise on the bridge. I have almost NO vibration at any speed. The boat was loaded, full enclosure on bridge and full tanks of water and fuel. I like them.
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

can you give us an idea of the speed that you're seeing now at 3200 rpms?
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
Charlie34E
deckhand
deckhand

Post by Charlie34E »

Trying to factor our current and wind, best I estimate is a solid 14kts. WOT deems to get me 16+knots. Best I had before was 14kts. I have hull 63 with 75's.
Allezcat
admiral
admiral

Post by Allezcat »

Installed the new four blade props this week. Initial results are good. WOT gives 3850 RPM (100HP) and 19.9Kts. Cruising speeds are about .5 Kts higher (at the same RPM) and they seem smoother (subjective). Replaced the cutlass bearings also. They are model BITE. Cut the fiberglass housing back about 3/8". Was able to torque out the port bearing with a pipe wrench but not the starboard bearing. They were both epoxied in place (ugh!). Removed the starboard shaft, sawed thru the bearing, then crushed it inward and extracted it. Drilled and tapped new holes for the 4 bearing lock screws on each side as these were removed when the tube was cut back. The old cutlass bearings had 1050 hrs on them. There was approx 1/4" of radial play at the prop. With the new bearings installed there is approx 1/16" of radial play at the prop. My next challenge is to replace the engine raw water impellers (someday)! I actually had the starbd engine pump cover off but was unable to remove the impeller. I now have a special pair of bent pliers (Yanmar Impeller Puller) from Bay Shore Marine ($40) which I hope will do the job.

Chet
Allezcat II
MV096
Semi-Local
skipper
skipper

Post by Semi-Local »

Don't know if anyone is looking for a pair of spare 3-bladed props but Diana and I are looking to sell ours.

They came off our MV34 hull 88. We went to 4-blades and don't really want to carry these around with us anymore.

In good condition, definitely some nicks so they are fine as short-term backups or could be reconditioned for longer-term use.

Don't know what would be a fair price but we can figure that out together, as well as a drop-off location or shipping, if anyone is interested.

Best, Mark
mark@semi-local.com
Mark & Diana Doyle
Semi-Local
PDQ MV 34 Hull 88, formerly PDQ 36 Capella Hull 36090

On the Water ChartGuides Cruising Guides & Electronic Charts
www.OnTheWaterChartGuides.com