PDQ and Pearson

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
Barry Williams
deckhand
deckhand

PDQ and Pearson

Post by Barry Williams »

For those of you in Florida a few weeks ago, what were some the experiences and learnings about where Pearson is taking PDQ Powercats?
Were there some implications for existing boats from their work about modifications to the 34 and 41?
It sounded like it was a good time for all.
Mary & Roger
admiral
admiral

Re: PDQ and Pearson

Post by Mary & Roger »

WHAT?????
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

i believe he's referring to gathering that rhumbline put on during stuart boat show.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
Loki
skipper
skipper

Post by Loki »

I talked to a few of the Pearson folks at the Boston Boat Show this week and got the impression that not much work has been done on the PDQ line. They had a few orders but they were canceled with the recession, and they don't want to start production without some serious orders. Unfortunately they were not in the PDQ "group" so the intel may not be the best.
Jeff Morris, Loki 36072
Katlin
1st mate
1st mate

Post by Katlin »

Re the above, I believe Barry was describing some of the wood trim and salon table upgrades that the Pearson Composites factory added to Heron (Dick Tuschick’s MV34) last summer. Gives the interior a very nice look. At the 2010 Boston show, Pearson has a booth displaying line drawing of several concept sailboats, with emphasis on a Pearson 36 targeted at the Sabre 36 buyer. Their plan is reported to be to lock in a buyer(s) and then start the production process with targeted delivery in the fall of 2010. The factory is finishing up the last of the US Navy’s trainer production run (hull 16). Of interest is their introduction of a recently acquired line of sportfishing outboards (think Edgewater, Albemarle, Regulator, etc) called North Rim. The 21’ model is on display at Boston. Maybe this is their new direction?? On the PDQ front, the molds for the MV34 and 41 are in Pearson’s Warren, RI facility and the 34 molds have been re-assembled and are reported to be ready for production as soon as Pearson receives an order. The 41 molds are still in pieces. Not clear where they are headed with PDQs. Without any factory energy nor investment in PDQ sales/marketing - PDQ was not even mentioned in their Boston booth - they appear to be waiting for customers to magically appear on their own initiative.

John Sawyer
Katlin MV34/076
Sno' Dog
skipper
skipper

Post by Sno' Dog »

Because SnoDogLog has been so consistently upbeat over the years, I've actually been asked (on more than one occasion) if our blog was being supported by PDQ! The answer is, of course, is no. But I admit, we were - and still are - serious enthusiasts and supporters of the PDQ brand. We were very much saddened by the untimely demise of the Canadian Company and the loss of so many of the original PDQ personalities. There's no doubt that some of those people played a large part in our decision to buy a PDQ in the first place.

Although I visited, and was quite impressed by, the new Pearson Composites factory in Rhode Island, I have never had the chance to develop the same enthusiasm for the "new folks". As many of you know who have corresponded with me privately, I have continued to make a strong case for the existing Canadian boats as opposed to a new Rhode Island boat. One of the strengths of the Canadian boats is that they built a large bunch of them, 115 PDQ 34's to be exact. Over time, they learned a lot. By the time they got to hull numbers in the 60"s, 70's & 80's, they were building some pretty awesome boats. No matter how good the new Rhode Island Company is, their first few boats will be essentially prototypes. A good cruising catamaran is a amazingly complicated beast, it takes a huge amount of effort to get all the details right.

Even though this is certainly not the PDQ party line, my strong recommendation to anyone considering the purchase of a PDQ powercat is to make a thorough search of the used boat market. Use the money you'll save (compared to the price of a new RI boat) to upgrade the boat to your liking. Particularly, if you're hoping to start cruising in the next year or so, this seems to me the most sensible way to go.

I wish Pearson Composites all the best. But I, for one, am not holding my breath for the roll-out of their first PDQ - and neither should you!

Just my two cents...
Henry - aboard Sno' Dog, presently in Jensen Beach, FL. (Planning to head north to New Hampshire in about 10 days.)
www.snodoglog.com