chlorine tablets in AC strainers

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
DickTuschick
skipper
skipper

chlorine tablets in AC strainers

Post by DickTuschick »

Hi Folks,
In performing some maintenance on a PDQ 34 that we just sold, we found an interesting problem that I thought I should pass on.
The owner of this boat had been putting chlorine tablets in the ac strainers to keep them growth free.
The tablets certainly did that, but the unanticipated side affect is that they ate the nylon plastic fittings in the system. The two nylon fittings between the strainer and the pump were 75% disolved and started leaking.
Moral of the story......NO NOT USE CHLORINE TABLETS IN THE SYSTEM !!!!! It could sink your boat !!!!
Bargain Bill
skipper
skipper

Re: chlorine tablets in AC strainers

Post by Bargain Bill »

I started using the chlorine tablets about 6 onths ago. have not noticed any nylon deterioration yet, but I am immediately stopping the practice.

Bargain Bill
Easy Riders MV34
Bill & Fran Carlson
Easy Riders MV34 #029
Ocean City, MD
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

we tried it a couple of summers ago and saw the filter bowl begin to craze. i stopped and changed the bowl.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
Stray Cat
1st mate
1st mate

Post by Stray Cat »

Beyond it's effect on nylon components, the chlorine is exceptionally corrosive to stainless steel (think heat exchangers and the like). Bad news, don't use chlorine compounds.

Consider cutting a few little rings from copper water pipe and tossing them in the strainers. The copper ions in the water stream should keep all the critters out, just as with copper bottom paint. Keep an eye on the copper rings, fish out and replace any remainders getting small enough to escape downstream.
Candy Chapman and Gary Bell in Stray Cat, MV34 hull 12
Bargain Bill
skipper
skipper

Post by Bargain Bill »

That solution makes sense. And chlorine is not good for any part of the environment.

Anybody need chlorine tablets for their pool?

Bargain Bill
MV 34 Easy Riders
Bill & Fran Carlson
Easy Riders MV34 #029
Ocean City, MD