Fuel transfer

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
Mary & Roger
admiral
admiral

Fuel transfer

Post by Mary & Roger »

I transfered all the fuel that would gravity flow from fwd tank to aft tank. Filled fwd tank, and can't get fuel to aft tank by gravity, or transfer pump. Pump has always worked in the past, runs, but won't pump eather way. Help Thanks, Roger on Teamwork
Ross Bowling
admiral
admiral

Re: Fuel transfer

Post by Ross Bowling »

Be sure that the valves are open at both the forward tank and in the cabin at the main tank. If the pump does not start moving fuel, I flip the direction switch on the pump back and forth. I can hear the pump "kick in" and start pumping. I think that the prime can be lost and the pump simply pumps air. My pump direction switch is wired in reverse, make sure that yours is pumping in the correct direction.

I usually leave the forward valves open, and the "cabin" valves closed. If I need to move fuel from forward to stern, I simply raise the floorboard in the cabin, open the valves and turn on the transfer pump at the main panel.

Hope this helps.
Ross Bowling
Tom Green
skipper
skipper

Post by Tom Green »

I have had the same problem. You need to fill the forward tank completely to the top to re prime the pump. This has solved it every time for me.
Tom & Nanci Green
Diastole
MV3499
Mary & Roger
admiral
admiral

Post by Mary & Roger »

Thanks for the info, my solution to the problem was to take hose off at the tank, pour a little oil into the hose, hold it high, then put it back on. Primed the pump, and everything is back to normal. Pump or gravity OK. Thanks, roger, Teamwork
Bargain Bill
skipper
skipper

Post by Bargain Bill »

I just had this problem. I then tried to transfer from stern to bow but no luck. Followed others instructions to fill bow tank to the top of the fill pipe and then start transfer - - worked like a charm. This may be a better solution than disconnecting and reconnecting fuel lines.
Bill & Fran Carlson
Easy Riders MV34 #029
Ocean City, MD
James Power
admiral
admiral

Post by James Power »

Hey Bill,

This was the way we use to prime the fuel transfer system during commissioning and as you said, it works like a charm !!

James
Bargain Bill
skipper
skipper

Post by Bargain Bill »

James Power wrote:Hey Bill,

This was the way we use to prime the fuel transfer system during commissioning and as you said, it works like a charm !!

James
When I said "Followed others instructions..." I should have given credit to James who mentioned this to me as he did a systems walk-thru years ago.
Bill & Fran Carlson
Easy Riders MV34 #029
Ocean City, MD
Bargain Bill
skipper
skipper

Post by Bargain Bill »

When you are done transferring fuel from bow to stern, be sure to close the valves after turning off the transfer pump. I didn't do this and the fuel continued to siphon into the stern tank until the bow was empty. Had to follow the 'top-off' procedure described above to get the transfer pump primed again.
Bill & Fran Carlson
Easy Riders MV34 #029
Ocean City, MD