Prop Zincs

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
Allezcat
admiral
admiral

Prop Zincs

Post by Allezcat »

I am new to the powercat. Can anyone tell me what kind of prop zincs I need and where to get them? Also, what size wrench do I need to remove them? Hex wrench?

Thanks,
Chet / hull96
duetto
admiral
admiral

Re: Prop Zincs

Post by duetto »

hi chet,

welcome aboard. the powercat uses a "sailboat-like" propnut zinc. the propeller nut looks like a "dunce" hat with a threaded hole which accepts an allen bolt. this bolt holds the zinc to the nut. the zincs are size D. we've ordered ours from boatzincs.com but you can get from west marine and most boatyards.

having said all this i would highly recommend making a modification. the allen bolts have a tendency to loosen and you lose the zinc. the mod is documented on this site (search for zincs). briefly, you remove the propnut and thread the allen bolt in from the "inside" of the nut. then use a nylock nut hold the zinc to the propnut/allen bolt.

good luck and don't hesitate to post questions.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
Tanah-Keeta
admiral
admiral

Post by Tanah-Keeta »

Hi Chet,
The ss cap screw should be 1 3/4 inches and locktite it. Use a plastic insert lock nut. You also will need a nut a little larger to take up the space that the head of the original bolt would fit in
Ron McDaniel
TK III 34108
Allezcat
admiral
admiral

Post by Allezcat »

Thanks Ron & John,
This forum is great! It took me a while to visualize the mod you were talking about but I think I've got it. Remove the capscrew, zinc, and propnut. Insert a capscrew pointing aft from inside the propnut and install the propnut. Fit the zinc and install a nylok nut on the aft facing screw. I assume the propnut has a cotter?
Chet / mv96
Gadzooks!
skipper
skipper

Post by Gadzooks! »

Best source I have found for zincs is Boatzincs.com. Considerably cheaper than West Marine. If you can combine your order with someone else's to get the total up over $100, they give you a break on shipping.

In addition to the propnut zinc, Gadzooks! has zincs on each rudder. These are round plates about 5" in diameter. Four required. One goes on either side of the rudder, and a thru-bolt clamps them there.
Mebs and Wally Gilliam
Gadzooks! MV34 #33
AMCarter3
admiral
admiral

Post by AMCarter3 »

One of my prop zincs needs to be replaced. The diver who checks our boat after each charter told me the Port zinc is loose. We replace both prop zincs every year in Feb when we haul the boat. However, our shipyard records indicate they used a "C" is the size zinc, not "D" as several people on this forum. No one has mentioned "C" size. Have any of you used a "C" size? Am I making a mistake? They are quite different in thread size.
Mac Carter
2006 34' PDQ PowerCat "All Heart"; MV 98; twin 100 HP Yanmars
Home Port: Bellingham WA 98229
Ortolan
skipper
skipper

Post by Ortolan »

Mac,

The correct one should be the “D”. I’ve been purchasing then from BoatZincs.com as their “Nut-D-Alum.” prop anodes.
Russ
Twin Sisters
PRIOR Owners of a 2006 MV34
www.esc-pod.com
AMCarter3
admiral
admiral

Post by AMCarter3 »

Thanks, Russ. I'm going to talk with the boatyard guys tomorrow to sort this out.
Mac Carter
2006 34' PDQ PowerCat "All Heart"; MV 98; twin 100 HP Yanmars
Home Port: Bellingham WA 98229