impeller removal

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
duetto
admiral
admiral

impeller removal

Post by duetto »

"My next challenge is to replace the engine raw water impellers (someday)! I actually had the starbd engine pump cover off but was unable to remove the impeller. I now have a special pair of bent pliers (Yanmar Impeller Puller) from Bay Shore Marine ($40) which I hope will do the job.

hi chet,

i modified the medium size jabsco puller which makes the job a lot easier. actually, i think the small size is the best fit. years ago i tried pliers and never had success. good luck.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
Katlin
1st mate
1st mate

Re: impeller removal

Post by Katlin »

See if this is helpful...from an earlier posting. Yanmar has introduced a new impellar removal tool (129671-92110) which works with a new impellar design (129670-42531). The new impellar has threads on the rear end of the center shaft into which the new removal tool can be threaded. An internal bolt in the tool can then be turned to apply pressure to the water pump shaft and thus extract the impellar. I gather this design has been used by Cat and Cummings, but is new to Yanmar. I haven't used it yet but the whole tool is no more than a couple of inches long so it should fit in the 75's or 100's limited space. Note this tool will not work with the older -42530 impellars.

John Sawyer
Katlin
34/076
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

hi john,

i think the bigger problem is the backlog of spare parts inventory on the shelves which don't have the threads. i know a couple of boats which came with the threaded impellers but found it difficult to find spares with threads.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
Katlin
1st mate
1st mate

Post by Katlin »

Hi. I had no problem getting them - Mack Boring was my dealer's source and I think they sell direct - so they are out there under the new part number -42531. Of course this won't help with the spares already on board. Good luck

John
makala
skipper
skipper

Post by makala »

I found a cheap installation/removal tool for the 129670-42531 impeller. It's a 3/4" diameter standard thread bolt. While it doesn't thread fully, it engages just enough into the threads to easily wiggle the old impeller out and press the new one in.

A couple bucks at the Home Depot!

IMG_3024.jpg

Somewhat related, when I had our injectors rebuilt on the engine some of the "insulators" wouldn't come out after injector removal. I tried the usual things like a pick with no luck. I ended up using a 3/16" stainless lag bolt (the stainless had the sharpest threads) to VERY gently grab them out. Worked like a charm!

Thanks!
Doug
B-Side
MV 34 #102 100 HP