Powercat Charter Available

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
johnlennon
deckhand
deckhand

Powercat Charter Available

Post by johnlennon »

CHARTER AVAILABLE 34 ft. PDQ power cat with twin 75 hp diesel, available for charter, Short or Long term. Experienced boaters only, please. Florida Based. Call for more information. (904) 724-0135
Epiphany
deckhand
deckhand

Re: Powercat Charter Available

Post by Epiphany »

Where is the boat located?
Phenix-former-owner
Site Admin

Post by Phenix-former-owner »

And what is the pricing?
--
Stray Cat
1st mate
1st mate

Post by Stray Cat »

If your PDQ powercat, which was built in Canada (eh?) is chartered in US waters you likely are in violation of the Jones Act:

The Merchant Marine Act of 1920 (P.L. 66-261) is a United States Federal statute that regulates maritime commerce in U.S. waters and between U.S. ports.

Section 27, better known as the Jones Act, deals with cabotage (i.e., coastal shipping) and requires that all goods transported by water between U.S. ports be carried in U.S.-flag ships, constructed in the United States, owned by U.S. citizens, and crewed by U.S. citizens and U.S. permanent residents.
Candy Chapman and Gary Bell in Stray Cat, MV34 hull 12
Phenix-former-owner
Site Admin

Post by Phenix-former-owner »

Stray Cat wrote:If your PDQ powercat, which was built in Canada (eh?) is chartered in US waters you likely are in violation of the Jones Act:
There is a waiver available that you can apply for, that can remove the requirement that the vessel be US-built. Maybe they have it.

Link: http://www.marad.dot.gov/ships_shipping ... Waiver.htm

Still, I am interested in finding out more about the pricing and details of the power cat charter.
--
Stray Cat
1st mate
1st mate

Post by Stray Cat »

Thank you so much for the timely information. I stand corrected. I don't expect to charter mine, but it is nice knowing that a procedure is available for small boat charters to bypass 90 year old laws about protecting US shipping interests.
Candy Chapman and Gary Bell in Stray Cat, MV34 hull 12
Bargain Bill
skipper
skipper

Post by Bargain Bill »

I looked into this a few years ago using a marine law attorney. Learned more about cabotage than I wanted to know. Almost bought an Endeavour to avoid the issue, but wisely stuck with the PDQ.
My recollection is that an exception to the Jones Act literally requires an act of congress. It can be done but it takes time and costs $$ - - I think it was about $4k+.
Bill & Fran Carlson
Easy Riders MV34 #029
Ocean City, MD
Ross Bowling
admiral
admiral

Post by Ross Bowling »

I lOOked into this and figured that I would simply have anyone chartering the boat stop in Berkeley, get their passport stamped and all would be OK! ;-)
Ross Bowling