Yanmar Engine Full Power Run Cycle

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
jgonnerman
skipper
skipper

Yanmar Engine Full Power Run Cycle

Post by jgonnerman »

I was told by a dock neighbor who owns a Yanmar turbo diesel powered sailboat that Yanmar is recommending a 10% of every hour run at full load to prevent turbo carbonizing. He stated that he now sets a timer to follow this procedure. Has anyone else heard of this practice. As former licensed USCG enginer and mechancial engineer it sounds plausible. The devil being in the details if Yanmar actually supports this practice questions I have are if operating a 3200-3300 rpm is it still necessary to increase to full throttle for the this period. Also there are frequently sea states in which I don't want to go to full throttle for 6 minutes. How long can the engine be run "off" the turbo without this problem?

Truth or sea story?
John Gonnerman
San Diego Ca
"Westend Express"
2002 34 Hull 20
duetto
admiral
admiral

Re: Yanmar Engine Full Power Run Cycle

Post by duetto »

hi john,

i don't think you need to do this by the clock, but yanmar turbo diesels are designed to be rev'ed. so on average, run your engine in the 75% range and it'll be happy.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
Stray Cat
1st mate
1st mate

Re: Yanmar Engine Full Power Run Cycle

Post by Stray Cat »

Every diesel loves to clear it's thoat from time to time. Nobody wants any nasty carbon in the turbo!

On the other hand, this is boating my friend. These are Yanmars, which with proper maintenance and reasonable care and feeding will outlive us all.

There is a reason the designers (TC +) didn't accommodate yarding these engines in and out of our boats with hatches, lifting pad eyes etc. etc..

Relax.
Candy Chapman and Gary Bell in Stray Cat, MV34 hull 12