Prosine "Battery Size" Input for Trojan T-145s

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
Semi-Local
skipper
skipper

Prosine "Battery Size" Input for Trojan T-145s

Post by Semi-Local »

Hi folks,

I know a bunch of MV owners have gone "up" in battery size.

Question 1: What batteries did you buy and what "battery size" number did you put in your Prosine?

Our Prosine has 440 entered in it now for the four original Canadian batteries (4 x 225 ah). Equivalent to the Trojan T-105s.

Question 2: Why 440 versus 450? Lower number than real ah for a reason? Help with not overcharging?

Question 3: The new Trojans will be 4 x 260 ah ... should I use 520, a slightly lower number like is in now for the 225 ah batteries, or other? And why?

I know this is important and want to get it right!

Thanx, Mark
Mark & Diana Doyle
Semi-Local
PDQ MV 34 Hull 88, formerly PDQ 36 Capella Hull 36090

On the Water ChartGuides Cruising Guides & Electronic Charts
www.OnTheWaterChartGuides.com
duetto
admiral
admiral

Re: Prosine "Battery Size" Input for Trojan T-145s

Post by duetto »

hi,

we always used 440 because somewhere we saw capacity of 220 a pair.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
Semi-Local
skipper
skipper

Post by Semi-Local »

Hi John,

The original batteries from PDQ are 225 amp hour each, so I think a four-bank of 6-volt 225s would equal a 450 amp hour 12-volt house bank.

But that's why I'm asking the group ... I know there are some real electrical system pros out there.

If my above math is correct, then I think you net a 520 amp hour 12-volt bank using four Trojan T-145s (six volts and 260 amp hours each).

Make sense?

Best, Mark
Mark & Diana Doyle
Semi-Local

duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

yes, that would be my take. keep in mind that the prosine just uses that in an algorithm to help compute durations of the various charge phases (i.e. bulk, absorb, float). make sure that you have the battery temperature sensor hooked up also.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
Semi-Local
skipper
skipper

Post by Semi-Local »

Cecil and I went through this thread off Forum. Thought it might be useful for the "archives."

[clip]

They are going these days for about $220 per, typically with a $10 buy back of your old battery. Battery Outlet had them for $189, net $179. Hope this helps!

-------------

On Oct 16, 2011, at 1:43 AM, Cecil Cheng wrote:

Thanks. Lastly, may I inquire as to how much you had paid for the T-145s?

------------

Hi Cecil,

Answers inline below (in Red).

Best,

Mark

--------

On Oct 15, 2011, at 6:55 PM, Cecil Cheng wrote:

Hello Mark,

Am a fellow PDQ owner. My house bank is shot so your recent update is timely!

Can you please tell me how you went about modifying the system to accept the 145s?

No modification (for our MV 34 power cat) was necessary at all. They are just taller and the battery locker accommodates them fine.

also, the link to the website of your provider did not show any Trojan batteries.

The link was a shout out to the supplier. They were VERY nice and came to the boat twice, once to drop off the new ones and once for pickup of old ... for free. They also had the best prices in Hampton Roads.

You can go to the Trojan site and look at "Marine" batteries and view the specs for the T-105, T-125, and T-145 options.

Lastly, are those new cables you used or were you able to salvage the old ones?

We were able to use the same cables as the battery terminal position is the same as well as the length and width of the batteries.

Thanks!
Mark & Diana Doyle
Semi-Local

Tanah-Keeta
admiral
admiral

Post by Tanah-Keeta »

I just replaced my house batteries with Trojan T-105's at a price of $126 each for four from Batteries Plus. The new T-105 batteries have a single cover that fits in the 3 holes instead of the individual screw out fill caps. I had to bend the crossover cables a bit to make enough height to be able to remove the fill cap. No real problem.
Ron McDaniel
TK III 34108
Semi-Local
skipper
skipper

Post by Semi-Local »

Hi Ron,

Yeah, Trojan is doing this interesting marketing thing now ... so, when ordering, note the "Plus" stands for individual caps versus the 3-cell "bar."

You can get them either way. We ordered the Plus-es to get the individual cell covers. Easier to inspect and fill we think.

They also come with multiple type connection posts. They sent us the "bolt-thru" type first and we had specified the screw on stud. They swapped them no problem, although it took another week until the truck came down from Richmond.

We had plenty to do so it wasn't a biggie but folks should be VERY specific about which battery size, cell cover, and connection they want.

Trojan offers a LOT of combinations!

Best, Mark
Mark & Diana Doyle
Semi-Local