Replacement LED lights for the Salon

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
Sno' Dog
skipper
skipper

Replacement LED lights for the Salon

Post by Sno' Dog »

Acting on a tip from Paul Gooding, former owner of PDQ 34-79 "Horizons", I just replaced my OEM 10-watt incandescent salon lights with LED's. I found replacement "bulbs" which fit right into the existing fixtures - but just barely! Some snipping of the wire pins is necessary, but it's easily done with a pair of "dikes".

I ordered them from: www.mastlight.com. Model: G4-9HPWW Descrp'n: G4-9 LED Warm White 12V side pin $14.00/ea.

Compared to the originals, they're just a bit whiter (less yellow), and I would say of equal brightness. Which is pretty amazing considering they draw less than 1 watt!

I would certainly recommend these to anyone wanting to cut down on power consumption - particularly important if you spend time on the hook.

Happy Thanksgiving!
Henry
www.snodoglog.com
SecondWind
admiral
admiral

Re: Replacement LED lights for the Salon

Post by SecondWind »

Try these sources too. We have converted our entire boat to LED's.

http://www.marinebeam.com/
http://www.superbrightleds.com/
Terry Green
s/v Second Wind
Lady of the Lake
Site Admin

Post by Lady of the Lake »

So did we, used the ones from www.superbrightleds.com

Sam
Sam and Gina Densler
s/v Lady of the Lake
PDQ36 Hull #15
Punta Gorda, FL
windrush
1st mate
1st mate

Post by windrush »

We replaced lights in the salon, galley & nav area, and some reading lights in the bunk. Ours are from Marinebeam.com. The G4 LED with 6 LEDs "Novi" weren't quite bright enough in the salon so we used their 10 LED "X-beam" which is more than bright enough. For the reading lights we installed one 15-SMD LED MR16 "Stellar" which is definately overkill... we have to shine it upward and the reflected light off the white headliner is bright enough to light up the area so that we both can read. One "stellar" is also in the hardtop bimini above the white plexiglass and is perfect for evening meals/entertaining/etc. Our next year's projects will include putting "X-beam"s into the overheads in the head and bunk areas. All the lights are warm white and if you replace the puck halogens, you will need to carefully remove the reflector so that they will fit, and be gentle when you insert the replacements. The wires will break but can be resoldered :wink: .

Bruce on Windrush in the Abacos
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

how are the "hockey puck" halogens attached to the ceiling?
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
Sno' Dog
skipper
skipper

Post by Sno' Dog »

Not sure what you're calling a hockey puck? On our boat, I simply unscrewed the white ring (which allows the clear cover to come off), then I removed the incandescent bulb and inserted the LED, then I put the cover back on. I didn't mess with the reflector - which appears to be part of the fixture on these small lights.

These fixtures are attached to the ceiling with three small screws, I didn't remove them.

Henry
www.snodoglog.com
windrush
1st mate
1st mate

Post by windrush »

Sno' Dog is right, just unscrew the clear cover, remove the halogen and insert the LED replacement carefully. The LED replacement was a tight fit in our light so we removed the reflector, but you might not need to, depending on the fit. There is no need to remove the light fixture itself to do the replacement! If you'd like a picture just pm me and I'll send one to you.

Bruce & Val Marshall on Windrush
http://web.me.com/windrush2/Windrush_Ad ... ys....html
Tom Green
skipper
skipper

Post by Tom Green »

I think it is a good idea to change them as you have done. On a couple of mine, the halogen bulbs were so hot that they burned the translucent plastic cover which deformed and fell out. It seems that they could be a fire hazard. I have also changed the halogen bulbs in the goose neck lamps for the same reason. They are now much cooler and consume much less power.
Tom & Nanci Green
Diastole
MV3499
jgonnerman
skipper
skipper

Post by jgonnerman »

Thanks for the useful information about the LED bulbs for the salon. My boat is an 02 build and has solid state dimmer controls. Will the LED's work with the installed dimmers or will I need to wire around or purchase specific dimmers.
John Gonnerman
San Diego Ca
"Westend Express"
2002 34 Hull 20
Mary & Roger
admiral
admiral

Post by Mary & Roger »

The three bulbs in the salon will have a nice glow when the dimmer is turned all the way down, and brighten when turned up, and if you hold the brighten side, they will get a little brighter. We like the night lite effect, and uses very little electricity.
Roger on Teamwork
Sno' Dog
skipper
skipper

Post by Sno' Dog »

I just added a page on SnoDogLog devoted to LED Lights.
See: www.snodoglog.com/LED-Lights.html. There's also a video clip of the colorful RGB exterior lights on Tom Mamczur's Katatomic (formerly Tina). Check it out.

Henry
www.snodoglog.com