Must Visit places on the West Coast of Florida

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
billp
1st mate
1st mate

Must Visit places on the West Coast of Florida

Post by billp »

We are planning our first cruise from Stuart to the West Coast of Florida. We hope to visit Sanibel and Captiva, but I wonder if you folks might have recommendations of destinations that we simply MUST visit. My wife has never been to the Gulf Coast and I have not traveled from Stuart in that direction on my own boat, so we are open to suggestions. People we know with winter homes in Sarasota and Naples have made open invitiations, but I bet you folks know all kinds of interesting places to see. We are on a 41, so have a few more inches of draft, but not a big deal. We have a dog which is a consideration...

Thanks for any comments!
BillP
Spitfire / 4108
rkimble
1st mate
1st mate

Re: Must Visit places on the West Coast of Florida

Post by rkimble »

I'm a little biased, but I suggest your first stop be at the Fort Myers Yacht Basin after your crossing. Some nice restaurants downtown, best deisel prices in the area.
Russ and Nancy Kimble
All That Jazz
MV34 #79
Fort Myers, FL
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

hi,

if you like to anchor out you might try bimini basin in cape coral. walking distance to west, ace, publix. up on cayo casa we liked pelican bay. nice walk to the beach. if you get a mooring in ft myers beach the boardwalk is right there and so is the beach. keewaydin(sp?) on marco is a nice afternoon anchorage.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
Lady of the Lake
Site Admin

Post by Lady of the Lake »

Laishley Marina or Fishermen's Village in Punta Gorda, both walking distance to a wonderful downtown. If we are in PG when you are in town, we will show you around. On the trip down the harbor, hit Cayo Costa, Useppa, Cabbage Key, Ding Darling, and Picnic Island. If real adventurous and heading down to the Keys, Little Snake River.

Sam
Sam and Gina Densler
s/v Lady of the Lake
PDQ36 Hull #15
Punta Gorda, FL
rkimble
1st mate
1st mate

Post by rkimble »

If you do stop in at the downtown Fort Myers Yacht Basin, give us a shout. Love to come down and meet you, be glad to shuttle you to the grocery store if needed, and if you have time, the Edison and Ford winter homes (very interesting).
Russ and Nancy Kimble
All That Jazz
MV34 #79
Fort Myers, FL
billp
1st mate
1st mate

Post by billp »

Thanks for all of the suggestions, and I wish you all a Merry Christmas!
BillP
Spitfire / 4108
Spoff4
1st mate
1st mate

Post by Spoff4 »

Cabbage Key is great for a cheese burger and beer stop. Boca Grande is more up scale- Boca Grande Marina f/k/a Miller's has good food and walking distance to quaint "downtown" Boca Grande. Dockage at Boca Grande Marina was fine for our 34, but I am uninformed whether they can accommodate the beam of a 41. It's a short dinghy ride if you need to anchor out.Boca Grande has some great restaurants.

Further north (12 miles?) there is a nice anchorage just north of Stump Pass and south of the Manasota Key bridge ( Absent local knowledge, you'll want to access the anchorage from the north by looping west and then southwest just after Red 22.) Flounders is accessible via a short dinghy ride, as is the White Elephant. ( Choose the White Elephant if you are into harmless Harleys and bad White Snake covers. Choose Flounders if you want casual good food and bad Buffett covers.) Stump Pass has recently been dredged and has new day markers making it an easy passage in daylight, as of last week anyway.

15 miles or so north is Venice Inlet ( easy). The Crows Nest is an easy place to get fuel as it is right on the main channel just inside the inlet.

Another 6 hours north is Tampa Bay. Downtown St. Pete is outstanding- many restaurants, bars, and museums within a short walk. If you are a member of an FCYC club, the St. Pete Yacht Club is very convenient to the food, drink, and museums.
George and Anita, Paul and Susan
Tampa Girl
MV 34 Hull #60
Tampa, Fl