Tracy Boarding Stairs

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
rkimble
1st mate
1st mate

Tracy Boarding Stairs

Post by rkimble »

Has anyone installed the Tracy boarding stairs on their 34? 5 step or 6? do you like them?
Russ and Nancy Kimble
All That Jazz
MV34 #79
Fort Myers, FL
NavyA4
deckhand
deckhand

Re: Tracy Boarding Stairs

Post by NavyA4 »

Russ,
Did you decide to install the steps, and if so, are you happy with them?
Steve & Hedy Fagan
M/V Volare
Hull #100
rkimble
1st mate
1st mate

Post by rkimble »

I did install them. I went with the 5-step model, but think the 4-step would work for many people. They are very easy to put on and take off, and when the quick-release brackets are removed, you would barely notice that the stationary bracket is in place. It is pretty flush to the hull and not subject to damage by pilings or docks. Storage underway is not an issue. Often just tied them on the aft bench, but they will fit in the forward locker.

We recently completed a 1600 mile trip up the east coast, and we loved them. While it can be easy to get on and off the PDQ from the steps on the stern, in some situations it can be very difficult. It made it really safe to get off while holding our dog, and people with bad knees or hips will really be appreciative.

We found at some floating docks, they were invaluable. They are also really nice at your home dock if it is floating. You can tie the boat off any pilings so it doesn't even need fenders, and still get on with ease.

Only negative is the cost, but they are VERY well made, much better than Marquipt in my opinion. We had a Trumpy owner stop by at one port and he told me he is going to switch his boarding ladder to Tracy as soon as he can.
Russ and Nancy Kimble
All That Jazz
MV34 #79
Fort Myers, FL
h.Mika

Post by h.Mika »

Russ,

I am very interested in your experience with the Tracy boarding steps on the PDQ. We have been using a boarding ramp, poor conceived and manufactured, noisy, and very expensive. Do you have pictures of your install? Given the curvature of the boat, we are never snug to a floating dock -- does adding an extra step allow that open space to be accommodated? We appreciate your input.

Harry Mika
rkimble
1st mate
1st mate

Post by rkimble »

I have found that the position of any outside dock pilings is a critical factor in getting off the PDQ. If there are no outside pilings, or if they are spaced properly, I tie the stern as close as possible to the dock to facilitate boarding. The bow is let out more to allow for this. This allows easier access to the steps on the stern. I often will still use the boarding ladder, however, since it does not require "swinging" a leg over the boat to get to the steps. I have a small dog, who gets rather frisky sometimes, and the stairs are a LOT safer with him.

In many cases though, due to piling placement, dock design, or other factors, the stern and the aft entry gate may be far from the edge of the dock. In those situations, I have found these boarding stairs essential. The stairs adjust to different dock heights by folding or unfolding more. I have had as much as 18"-24" seperation from the dock and the stairs worked perfectly. I have even used them on a fixed dock in which they function like a ramp. The only caveat in this case is to not let the dock ever get higher than the boarding stairs. The stairs also have allowed me to tie the boat off of the dock so that it never even hits the fenders at my home dock, making it much more safe and secure for storm events.

They are extremely strong (I am not a small guy), well made, easy to use, and have a handrail for added safety.

I don't have pictures, but will try to take some in the next 2-3 weeks (boat is on the east coast of FL, and I am on the west).
Russ and Nancy Kimble
All That Jazz
MV34 #79
Fort Myers, FL
h.Mika

Post by h.Mika »

You are a great salesman for Tracy International! Thank you -- I am getting a clearer picture of things. You noted in an earlier post that you had chosen five over four steps. I assume this gives you more flexibility in terms of how far the gate/deck might be from the dock in terms of spanning the gap. Am I correct?

The pictures would be great if you get a chance. Again, thank you.

HM
rkimble
1st mate
1st mate

Post by rkimble »

Yes, the 5 step can extend further. It is also the largest that will fit in the forward storage lazarette. The ladder has a curved L-shaped brace tube on the underside that stabalizes it against the hull. You have to cut this to fit your specific application. The ladder will extend to match the distance from the boat to the dock. The angle and the rise of the individual steps will change depending upon this distance, all the way to a ramp-like function when the dock is close to parallel with the mounting brackets.

Don't mean to sell you on the item, but I can tell you that it is much better than the Marquipt IMO, and while not needed for some people or situations, people with bad knees, or lugging on a pet in the dark will never look back.
Russ and Nancy Kimble
All That Jazz
MV34 #79
Fort Myers, FL
NavyA4
deckhand
deckhand

Post by NavyA4 »

Russ,
Thank you for all the great information. Given the free board on the PDQ34, it's surprising that this issue has not been solved long before now, as you have done!
Best,
Steve
Steve & Hedy Fagan
M/V Volare
Hull #100