davit block and tackle

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
johnlennon
deckhand
deckhand

davit block and tackle

Post by johnlennon »

does anyone know what the replacement parts are for the davit block and tackle?

thanks

kids again
duetto
admiral
admiral

Re: davit block and tackle

Post by duetto »

hi,

originals on our boat were from rmo (aust). since then we have replaced with a combo of ronstan (8 part stern) and harken (3 part bow). we have an ab 9'8" rib with 15 hp 2 stroke. we use the originals to secure the bow/stern to prevent swinging side to side.

not sure you can get rmo parts.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
Katlin
1st mate
1st mate

Post by Katlin »

I've got 2 suugestions, depending on the line size you'd prefer to use, 5/16" or 3/8". I'd recommend 3/8" as more hand friendly.
For 5/16th line: Harken 29mm Carbo blocks: #344 (triple with swivel) and #347 (triple, becket with cam). Gives a 6:1 advantage
For 3/8th line: Harken 40mm Carbo blocks: #2640 (triple w/ swivel) and 2647 (triple, becket, cam). Again, 6:1.
I'd believe these are the best blocks in this catagory. And of course it is all a matter of Money. The 344/347 package (2 of each) will cost about $300. The 2640/2647s about $500. I have the 40mm blocks on Katlin with a 9.3' Carib and a 9.9HP and it works well.

John Sawyer
Katlin
jgonnerman
skipper
skipper

Post by jgonnerman »

Just noticed this post and would suggest looking at the Garhauer products. They produce a high quality line of blocks and other deck hardware for mostly sail boats. They used to be the primary supplier for Catalina. Their warranty is really simple if it breaks they send you a new one. I first had their gear on a racing sail boat and found it to be robust and only when I or crew did something really creative did I ever have a problem with any of their gear. I added davits to my 34 and purchased the lifting gear from Garhauer which they sold from their davit kits. The purchase is 6:1 and I handle a (too) heavy 3.1 Avon Rib with a Nissan 10, I would guess about 210 pounds total

When single handed I hoist one end at time quite easily.
John Gonnerman
San Diego Ca
"Westend Express"
2002 34 Hull 20
Mishigas
admiral
admiral

Post by Mishigas »

I also recommend the Garhauer product. I purchased a pair at the Miami Boat Show a few years back and they have worked well. Sturdy, well built and the price was right. My rig is also about 200 lbs and no problem lifting Dink and motor.
Sandy Kramer MV Mishigas