Prop anti-fouling

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
rkimble
1st mate
1st mate

Prop anti-fouling

Post by rkimble »

What do you use (if anything) for prop antifouling? Propspeed? Hard anti-fouling paint? Nothing?
Russ and Nancy Kimble
All That Jazz
MV34 #79
Fort Myers, FL
SecondWind
admiral
admiral

Re: Prop anti-fouling

Post by SecondWind »

The absolute best thing going is a treatment called Prop Speed. The props need to be removed for this one.
Terry Green
s/v Second Wind
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

we've used petit barnicle barrier for the past 2 seasons in bahamas and florida. it has worked very well. it lists at $44 @ west. 1 spray can will do both props 2-3 coats.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
billp
1st mate
1st mate

Post by billp »

We just had our props done using a new product that is supposed to be better than Prop Speed, and DIY. It is called Slick Shield, available from Stuart Yachts. Dick Tuschick raved about it at the PDQ Rendezvous.
BillP
Spitfire / 4108
Page 83
admiral
admiral

Post by Page 83 »

I watched a Captain spend days over doing the prop speed process on a big fishing machine; getting down to bare metal, getting them smooth, applying the primer, then the top coat. That was last year. This year he still has barnacles.

Forgive me, but I have to point out that the best way to deal with marine growth and corrosion is to only put the props in the water when you're using them. 8)
Sandy Daugherty "Page 83" PDQ 36026
Captnautigal
1st mate
1st mate

Post by Captnautigal »

We just had slick shield applied at our haulout at Stuart Yacht. Not sure of results yet. Two years ago we had Prop speed applied. Wasn't impressed with prop speed - especially for the money.
Maureen (Captnautigal) and David
Catatonic - #74
rkimble
1st mate
1st mate

Post by rkimble »

Had prop speed less than a year ago with practically no beneficial results. The yard (Owl Creek) is recommending a spray with interprotect epoxy followed by Pettit Trinidad while it is still wet. Since the props on the powercat are in the water all the time (except for the few on lifts), and with a lot of nutrients in the water where I berth, I'm willing to try anything.
Russ and Nancy Kimble
All That Jazz
MV34 #79
Fort Myers, FL
John&Ria
admiral
admiral

Post by John&Ria »

Like Bill P, we also had Slick Shield applied to the props and rudder on His Idea (formerly Desafinado) when she was hauled at SYH in February. There were some barnacles and growth when I checked on them (in water) last week, and I did my best to clean it off with a dish pad. This was moderately successful, but being new to the boat and this issue I'm not sure how this compares to the solutions that other folks have tried. I'll provide a future update on how the product is working when we get more experience.

John
Mishigas
admiral
admiral

Post by Mishigas »

I have used Propspeed in the past and "The Juice ain't Worth The Squeeze". For the last several seasons I have used Pettits Barnacle Barrier. On the Chesapeake, it has worked well for me. Very economical compared to Propspeed. I can do both Props and Rudders with one can. I do prep (sand and clean) my running gear prior to application but it has worked well.
Sandy Kramer
Mishigas
Don Burton
deckhand
deckhand

Post by Don Burton »

Gregg at Stuart yachts put teflon on my props and we found that they sang loudly up to 2000 RPMs . At Lambs Boat works in Jacksonville they filed the leading edge of the blades (4 blade props) and removed the teflon. The singing stopped but I don't know if it was the filing or the teflon removal that solved the problem.