IPad Navigation

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
rkimble
1st mate
1st mate

IPad Navigation

Post by rkimble »

OK, thinking about getting an IPad as a navigation planning tool. Don't plan to use it during sailing, but seems like a nice way to plan for the next day. Anyone else done this? Which programs have you found best?
Russ and Nancy Kimble
All That Jazz
MV34 #79
Fort Myers, FL
duetto
admiral
admiral

Re: IPad Navigation

Post by duetto »

there is a guy in our marina (marsh harbour, abacos) who uses it exclusively. teamwork is traveling but will be able to give you specifics when he gets to us.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
Captnautigal
1st mate
1st mate

Post by Captnautigal »

Make sure you get the ipad 3g - not just the wireless Ipad. I bought the wireless ipad first, without the 3g capability. GPS does not work on the wireless ipad. I returned it and bought the 3g. I do not use the 3g for internet - I use my iphone as a hotspot. You must make sure both devices are connected via bluetooth to gain internet access for linking to iphone's hotspot. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO BE CONNECTED TO THE INTERNET TO USE AS A GPS!!! I use both my iphone and ipad in my car (and have as backup on boat). The app i use for charts on the boat are the same charts as our Raymarine charts. Check out the Navionics App it runs on the iphone and ipad. (i pad with 3g capabilities only) I have an ipad 2 not the lastest ipad 3. For the car GPS I use Navigon by Garmin. Works better than any auto Garmin GPS I've used.
Maureen (Captnautigal) and David
Catatonic - #74
Captnautigal
1st mate
1st mate

Post by Captnautigal »

p.s. for trip planning I use Navionics Nav planner 2 on a windows PC. Unfortunately, it doesn't work on apple products. You can plot routes then tranfer to CF card via provided USB reader then upload onto your Raymarine, if that is what you have.
Maureen (Captnautigal) and David
Catatonic - #74
rkimble
1st mate
1st mate

Post by rkimble »

Thanks so much Maureen.
Russ and Nancy Kimble
All That Jazz
MV34 #79
Fort Myers, FL
Spoff4
1st mate
1st mate

Post by Spoff4 »

We use the Navionics App on an iPad and iPhone as back up for the Furuno chart plotters. We mainly use the App in the same manner as we would use a paper chart. The App is very good and we use it constantly on the boat and at home.
Back when the App first came out it was about $5, now it's around $20 and still a bargain.

Active Captain is nearly worthless on an Apple device.
George and Anita, Paul and Susan
Tampa Girl
MV 34 Hull #60
Tampa, Fl
Mary & Roger
admiral
admiral

Post by Mary & Roger »

inavx works well for planing, easier than Capt Navagator. Iam still learning my way around, but think it will be a great tool. We used it crossing, to back up all my Ray Marine crap that's broken!!!!
Roger on Teamwork
Page 83
admiral
admiral

Post by Page 83 »

This has been a hot topic for the last two years on other forums like www.panbo.com , cruisersforum.com and the hull truth.
My partner on Siesta used a plugin for his non-3g iPad very successfully outside cell phone range. I have both a Motorola Xoom and a Toshiba Thrive, using the Android Navionics product. These have worked well in the BVI, but there are downsides.
With two exceptions, tablets are neither waterproof or readable in sunlight. There are two humidity sensors in the iPads that void the warranty if it gets wet.
It seems silly to have a backup that will break before the primary system! It seems wasteful to throw away a $600 gadget if it gets dripped on!. SO:

I believe the pads are wonderful gadgets for many things: watching your progress from the stateroom, playing Angry Birds, reading Kindle books, and going ashore in a freezer bag to check weather and email in an Internet café . Since there are so very few unencrypted wifi signals to be found while cruising, the Internet Café or the Beach Resort Complex are about the only places you can use an App that requires an Internet connection to cycle through charts.

I find it difficult to plan a trip on one device and load it to the primary navigation system to use. And I know of only one primary system that can display radar on a tablet. And I don't like Raymarine's user interface.
Sandy Daugherty "Page 83" PDQ 36026