Anchor chain castles lifting chain off gypsy

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
billp
1st mate
1st mate

Anchor chain castles lifting chain off gypsy

Post by billp »

I have a 41, but perhaps this issue is common with 34 owners as well. When I have a fair bit of chain out, retrieving the anchor results in the chain piling up under the windlass (I think they call this "castles" under the windlass). If I don't do something to break down the castle it will stop more chain from coming off the gypsy and actually lift the chain off the gypsy, causing it to run away back down off the bow roller until I can stop it.

James added the starboard deflector plate they came up with, but it doesn't keep the castles from forming. I wonder if the locker isn't deep enough for this much chain (160 feet of HT 5/16). It is separated into two compartments for provision for a second anchor and perhaps that is confining the chain...

I use a stick to knock down the piles as they develop but am looking for a better solution as I am often short handed and it is hard to watch my surroundings, lift the anchor and keep watch inside the chain locker at the same time. Before I spend time "inventing" a solution, thought I would ask you folks with lots of experience. BTW, a 75-lbs Rocna works great on the 41, especially with all that chain.
BillP
Spitfire / 4108
Katlin
1st mate
1st mate

Re: Anchor chain castles lifting chain off gypsy

Post by Katlin »

I realize this is opening a hotly debated topic, but do you really need 160 feet of chain - given this problem let alone the amount of excess weight you are loading onto the boat. I'd suggest you could use 1/3 of what you currently have on board plus 200 feet of 5/8" 3 strand nylon and still sleep securely all night. Just a thought.

John Sawyer
Katlin
billp
1st mate
1st mate

Post by billp »

Now that is a new twist I had not considered. I've always been a fan of all chain, and I thought the 41 came with all chain. The previous owner never anchored (the boat had a 35 Kingston anchor and 50 feet of chain) and Dick Tuschick and company never mentioned the PDQ being better off with a combination rode.

That would solve the castle issue but is that really the way to go? Do the 34s not carry all chain?
BillP
Spitfire / 4108
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

hi,

as someone mentioned this topic will generate a lot of replies i'm sure. i said in another post that we've anchored from marthas vineyard down icw to fl, then both coasts and keys, and 6 years in bahamas. we've used 40' 5/16 chain with 5/8" 3 strand nylon and never had a problem. with that said we've never been at anchor in more than 25 knts sustained and 40 knt gusts. chain has many advantages (dampening, extra drag on seabed, coral resistant, etc) but if your 41 truely has a problem that a combination of chain & rope would solve, i personally would not hesitate to use it.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
Tanah-Keeta
admiral
admiral

Post by Tanah-Keeta »

Ditto what John and John said.... I use 60 ft of chain and 150 ft rode.

With that said... anchors and chain are a personal thing...you are the one at the end of the anchor, chain and line.
Ron McDaniel
TK III 34108
billp
1st mate
1st mate

Post by billp »

I fashioned a piece of Starboard to deflect the chain to the side and it seems to work just fine. James Power had done a smaller one but it likely was sized for the 34 rather than the chain locker on the 41. My problem has gone away.

I agree with all of the comments about chain and nylon combination. However, for a bulletproof anchoring system, nothing beats chain, especially with the 75-lb Rocna anchor I have on the boat. With a nice bridle I have no cares when anchoring now.
BillP
Spitfire / 4108