Davit Failure

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
Katlin
1st mate
1st mate

Davit Failure

Post by Katlin »

My port dinghy davit failed while the Chesapeake Bay was establishing who was boss during a recent transit. Bent about 20" up from the base at the reinforced bend. I gather this is not a new occurance for those PDQs with the 'old style' davits. Apart from the forum suggestion (thank you Duetto) to contact St Croix Davits, any other thoughts on a 'no new holes' replacement? Thanks.

John Sawyer
Katlin MV34/76
Mishigas
admiral
admiral

Re: Davit Failure

Post by Mishigas »

Hi John, I have the old style davits and never had the failure but I observed several others that had failed. So I went to a Marine Welder and had my original davits "Beefed" up and supported to prevent the failures from occurring. I cant figure out how to post pics on this site but could send to email. Regardless you might want to show the bend and failed tube to a marine welder. I would bet they could fabricate a better solution than a total replacement and could work with the current holes and structure you have. Good luck.
Sandy. MV MISHIGAS
Lady of the Lake
Site Admin

Post by Lady of the Lake »

Sandy,
There is an upload attachment tab under the new post that you will create.

Sam
Sam and Gina Densler
s/v Lady of the Lake
PDQ36 Hull #15
Punta Gorda, FL
Katlin
1st mate
1st mate

Post by Katlin »

Thanks Sandy. Patching the one and beefing up the other may be the best way to go. Would appreciate the pics. My email is jandpsawyer@gmail.com. John
Katlin
1st mate
1st mate

Post by Katlin »

Here is an update on my port davit replacement. I tracked down the original manufacturer of these davits for PDQ (they made the 'old' style, not sure if they also made the new style integrated into the seat). They explained there was an original design, a later mod 1 (with a half-moon shaped single piece of stainless welded into the arc) and finally a mod 2 (with a box design welded into the arc). I gather from there, PDQ went with the new integrated seat design. Manufacturer is Metaux Produits D.T. Inc, 1120 3e Ave, Grand-Mere, Quebec G9T 7A5 Phone 819-533-3222. Ask for Sebastien Baril or Jean Garcau. Both very helpful (and speak excellent english).

I ordered a new port davit and returned my good starboard davit to be reinforced with the box designed reinforcement. Whole job was about $750. I drove them up - Quebec City is a great place to spend a couple of days - so avoided duty and shipping. Pictures attached.
Davit Damage (640x478).jpg
Davit Damage (640x478).jpg (200.68 KiB) Viewed 12897 times
New Davit 1 (640x478).jpg
New Davit 1 (640x478).jpg (171.74 KiB) Viewed 12900 times
John Sawyer
Katlin MV34/076
Bargain Bill
skipper
skipper

Post by Bargain Bill »

When the davit failed, was the motor on the dingy?
Bill & Fran Carlson
Easy Riders MV34 #029
Ocean City, MD
Katlin
1st mate
1st mate

Post by Katlin »

Of course. 9.9HP Mercury on a 9'3" Caribe. Obviously too much weight for the design limits.
johnlennon
deckhand
deckhand

Post by johnlennon »

We purchased a perfect replacement from Metaux Produits in Quebec (891)533-3222.

Fit perfect. Easy installation. Cost including freight to Florida and customs was under $1,000 in 2009.

Kids Again