Waste Tank Level Indicator

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
Tanah-Keeta
admiral
admiral

Waste Tank Level Indicator

Post by Tanah-Keeta »

Has anyone removed the tank level indicator from the waste tank? Mine is not getting a reading on the guage in the head and I would like to repair or replace it.
Ron McDaniel
TK III 34108
duetto
admiral
admiral

Re: Waste Tank Level Indicator

Post by duetto »

hi ron,

i trust your summer is going well.

i've taken ours out a couple of times but never was successful in getting it to work. assuming that pdq didn't change over the years, the sender is basically a small float on a stem. i cleaned it but that didn't make it work.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
rkimble
1st mate
1st mate

Post by rkimble »

Ours never goes below 1/4 tank full after we do a pump out. We always just try to err on the conservative site since it is not very accurate.
Russ and Nancy Kimble
All That Jazz
MV34 #79
Fort Myers, FL
billp
1st mate
1st mate

Post by billp »

I have no idea if the tank sensor is the same as was used on the 41, but I just cleaned it this morning. It is a WEMA holding tank sensor, I believe it is the SHS model. There is a diagram on the WEMA USA website.

This is what it looks like at the top of the tank. As per James Power's comments, I cut back the zipties to give the wire plenty of room for me to unscrew the six-sided top of the gauge. Using a large Channel Locks, it unscrewed easily, making about six or so turns to completely unthread.

The stainless steel tube doesn't allow me to see the float inside the tube, but I took a five gallon bucket and sprayed the cylinder with a garden hose inside the locker where the holding tank is. I made sure to get into the little holes at the top and the bottom of the cylinder. It was completely clean in about five seconds, and I didn't have to empty the bucket until I was done. When I turned the tube upside down and back I can hear the float move up and down, where before it was stuck.

I put four or five wraps of teflon tape and rethreaded in back into the top of the holding tank, and the wiring unscrewed itself back to normal. I will reapply the zipties when I am done with the macerator pump replacement. The whole process took maybe 15 minutes.

Hope this helps. I was a little intimidated to do this at first but it was easier to do than figure out how to post images on this forum.
Good luck.
BillP
Spitfire / 4108
SecondWind
admiral
admiral

Post by SecondWind »

https://tankedge.com/accessories.html

We switched to these products. They have no moving parts.
Terry Green
s/v Second Wind
Tanah-Keeta
admiral
admiral

Post by Tanah-Keeta »

Thanks for the help. Mine looks like the one in BillP's pictures.
Ron McDaniel
TK III 34108