Damaged my props & 4 bladed props

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
Golden
deckhand
deckhand

Damaged my props & 4 bladed props

Post by Golden »

We have just come through northern NJ and we fell victim to the low water. We were right between the red and green and we touched, and touched, and touched. Then we were through the problem, all lasting less than three seconds. We felt that what we hit was soft and that we had not done any damage. We watched the temps and listened and felt for any vibration and all seemed normal. We were going about 8 knots at the time. We continued to run slowly looking for any problem. I did not go into the engine compartment area and that was my mistake. For the remainder of that day, we were listening for any unusual noise and felt for any unusual vibration. Nothing was evident. The next day was our day from Manasquan to NY harbor. The boat ran fine running along at 3300 rpms , there was no unusual vibration, and all seemed well. We pulled into Atlantic Highlands where we planned on spending a couple days to relax. I usually take the opportunity to put on the wet suit and check the thru hulls, props, and rudders and to clean the waterline. Much to my surprise, my port prop had some damage, limited to the last 3/4 inch of the prop, two blades had minor nicks and one blade has a slight curl and a 1/4 inch nick. Now I am concerned and it is Friday before the three day Memorial Day weekend. Ugh. I made some calls and the only thing that seemed reasonable to do was to make my way out of the NYC area and get to the Haverstraw/Nyack area where I was confident that repairs could be made. Underway, the shaft is moving/vibrating ever so slightly, my guess is that it is moving about 1/32 of an inch at 3300 RPMs. At 1800 RPMs or less, the shaft is hardly vibrating. I have a haul out or diver arranged for tomorrow. Haverstraw is unsure if they can haul a cat with a 17 ft beam until they see it tomorrow.

This leads me to believe that I should have another set of props on board. I had considered 4 bladed props, but found them hard to get and expensive.

Anybody else want to investigate another mass purchase of 4 bladed props?

Anybody have a set of 4 bladed props that they want to sell?

Anybody have a set of 3 bladed props that they want to sell?

I have read all that I can about the cutlass bearing problems and until now, there was no noise or vibration and a minor amount of water getting into our boat, not even enough for the bilge pumps to come on as evaporation was eliminating any accumulation of water. We are liveaboards right now and it would be clear to us if the blige pumps were coming on. If we get hauled, we'll be taking a close look at the cutlass bearing, but we're hopeful that it hasn't been damaged.
Mike & Paige Caldwell
Golden, 2004 MV#40
http://www.GoldenTrawler.com
rkimble
1st mate
1st mate

Re: Damaged my props & 4 bladed props

Post by rkimble »

Hi guys. Sorry to hear of your mishap. You have the 75 HP engines. I'd sell you a 3 blade set but the props are different on the 100 HP engines. Should be a fairly easy repair though at a good prop shop. May take a few day but enjoy the break.
Russ and Nancy Kimble
All That Jazz
MV34 #79
Fort Myers, FL
Golden
deckhand
deckhand

Post by Golden »

We had a diver pull the prop today, and a local prop shop was able to repair it this afternoon - just picked it up a few minutes ago. We'll have the diver put it back on and will be good to go. But we are now looking for a back-up pair of props. :)
Mike & Paige Caldwell
Golden, 2004 MV#40
http://www.GoldenTrawler.com
jgonnerman
skipper
skipper

Post by jgonnerman »

I have a set of 3 bladed props which I would sell you for the amount I would get for selling for the bronze weight plus you pay the shipping.

My props were serviced when i bought the boat, 75 HP by the way and have not damaged them. They might need service due to loading etc.
John Gonnerman
San Diego Ca
"Westend Express"
2002 34 Hull 20
Semi-Local
skipper
skipper

Post by Semi-Local »

Don't know if anyone is looking for a pair of spare 3-bladed props but Diana and I are looking to sell ours.

They came off our MV34 hull 88. We went to 4-blades and don't really want to carry these around with us anymore.

In good condition, definitely some nicks so they are fine as short-term backups or could be reconditioned for longer-term use.

Don't know what would be a fair price but we can figure that out together, as well as a drop-off location or shipping, if anyone is interested.

Best, Mark
mark@semi-local.com
Mark & Diana Doyle
Semi-Local
PDQ MV 34 Hull 88, formerly PDQ 36 Capella Hull 36090

On the Water ChartGuides Cruising Guides & Electronic Charts
www.OnTheWaterChartGuides.com
Mary & Roger
admiral
admiral

Post by Mary & Roger »

Hey Mike, or anybody else thot wants a set of three blade props for 100 hp, they are sitting in my garage in NC. Like the 4 blades...
rhumbline2
deckhand
deckhand

Post by rhumbline2 »

Hi Mark and Diana,

I'm looking for a new set of props for my M/V 34, hull 27. I have the 75 hp engines. What horsepower engines do you have??
Since you are looking to get rid of your 3 bladed props, I'm assuming you like the 4 bladed ones. Another PDQ owner recommended I get the 4 bladed props, but I'm not sure if there is one type of 4 bladed prop for the 100 hp engines and another 4 bladed prop for the 75hp engines.

James Mills
Rhumbline - hull 27
rhumbline2
deckhand
deckhand

Post by rhumbline2 »

Hi Mark and Diana,

No need to post a reply to my prior post. I delved into the forum history and found all of my answers. Something I should have done prior to asking you about your situation.

I need new props for my 75's . Whether I'll stick with the 3 bladed variety or upgrade to the 4 bladed is up in the air. I put a call into Jim Blanchard at H&H Propellor this morning. Waiting to hear back.

James Mills
Rhumbline hull 27