Microwave issues

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
John&Ria
admiral
admiral

Microwave issues

Post by John&Ria »

A few weeks back we started to have issues with the LG microwave/convection oven originally installed on our 2007 PDQ 34 , i.e. it started to trip the breaker when it was heating for longer periods. Finally, in Carolina Beach, the magnatron packed it in. We thought our troubles were behind us when we located a suitable replacement at our next stop in Moorhead City (a GE 1100 watt microwave with no convection unit), however the breaker tripping continues for any heating period of longer than about 90 seconds (high power).

We are now berthed at Port Annapolis Marina so I had one of the boat yard's technicians check out the system. After checking the connections at the breaker panel and at the outlet box where the microwave unit plugs in, it was his conclusion that the wiring from the box to the panel was of insufficient guage to carry the load (apparently the power cord from the unit is getting warm). While I suppose this is plausible it seems puzzling when the original microwave unit was rated for 1500 watts and the new unit is smaller, with only an 1100 watt rating.

At this point we are using the microwave for short periods only, but this obviously limits its usefulness. We're wondering if anyone else has run into this problem, and if so what solution you may have found.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

John & Ria
His Idea
duetto
admiral
admiral

Re: Microwave issues

Post by duetto »

hi,

you might want to try replacing the breaker. breaker could be going bad. not sure if you can really test that.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
Mishigas
admiral
admiral

Post by Mishigas »

Hi John, perhaps try a replacement breaker. I had one go out years ago and the breaker was the problem. Good Luck,
Sandy Kramer MV 34 "Mishigas"
John&Ria
admiral
admiral

Post by John&Ria »

Hi Sandy, and John,

Thanks for your suggestions to try replacing the breaker. We hadn't thought of that, but then again neither did the technician. We'll give it a try.

Thanks again....

John & Ria