Battery combiner to replace Xantrex

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
Don Burton
deckhand
deckhand

Battery combiner to replace Xantrex

Post by Don Burton »

We have been having problems keeping our house batteries charged up while travelling. We have found out that the Xantrex pathfinder solenoids have stopped functioning and need replacing. I phoned Prosine and they said they don't make it anywhere and need to get some other kind of battery combiner. Does anyone know what kind to get and where to get it ? I guess I will use my genny a lot more for a while
duetto
admiral
admiral

Re: Battery combiner to replace Xantrex

Post by duetto »

hi don,

first, i'd scourer the internet and try to find a 250A xantrex combiner. the problem with the alternatives is that without resorting to "daisy chaining" i was not able to find another combiner that can handle 3 batteries. there are a couple i know of (blue seas and yandina) that can combine 2 batteries. so out of the box you would need two of these with the charger and house on one pole and a pigtail on the other pole which goes to the second combiner which has the start batteries on it. if you're willing to comprimise you could hook your 2 start batteries to one pole and the charger and house battery to the other and use only one combiner. this will work but leaves you vulnerable to one start battery failure killing the other start battery. as i said my first choice would be to find a new 250A xantrex. however, i have installed a blue seas combiner and they work well.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
jgonnerman
skipper
skipper

Post by jgonnerman »

The relays on the xantrex were manufactured by White Rogers. They have a web site and the type of relay is a type 120 SPNO. it's under their emerson climate technologies page. i got the start of this search off the label on my solenoids. If it's just the solenoids a little web time and phone time might be the easiest route to go as they appear to be direct replacement.
John Gonnerman
San Diego Ca
"Westend Express"
2002 34 Hull 20
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

i think you can determine if it's the xantrex electronics vs solenoids. start the engines. the alternators will raise the voltage on the start batteries which should make the combiner light go green. if this is true, check the voltage on the house bank. if it's not the same as voltage on the start batteries then it's almost certain to be the solenoids.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
Don Burton
deckhand
deckhand

Post by Don Burton »

Thanks for the input. When we got to Midland this spring we went to James Powers house and he was able to find the "last " combiner around and installed it on Snow Cat. However, we are having problems with it chattering so we disable it whenever we stop the engines and use the generator or shore power. James has suggested playing with the three dials but nothing has worked so far. Anybody know of a possible solution? Don Burton on Snow Cat
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

hi don,

i'm pretty sure that the "chattering" is the solenoids not staying completely closed. eventually this will cause the solenoids contact faces to burn. you might try swapping solenoids from your old combiner. i'm not an electrician but could the combiner have a bad connection which is reducing voltage?

also, another thought. remove the solenoids from the old combiner and replace with those from the new one. if the electronics (i.e. voltage sense) is the problem with the new one, the electronics on the old one maybe good. i know it's a longshot.

good luck!
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
Lady of the Lake
Site Admin

Post by Lady of the Lake »

I use these:

http://www.yandina.com/c100InfoR3.htm

I use them on my 36.

Sam
Sam and Gina Densler
s/v Lady of the Lake
PDQ36 Hull #15
Punta Gorda, FL
billp
1st mate
1st mate

Post by billp »

This is a picture of the solenoid you can find online to replace the ones on the Xantrex combiner. If you copy it to your computer then zoom in, you can read all the information about it:

The company has been acquired by another larger firm, but the name of the solenoid is the same.
BillP
Spitfire / 4108
Beechjetdriver
deckhand
deckhand

Post by Beechjetdriver »

After our Xantrex failed, causing our starboard start battery to die, we switched to two daisy-chained Blue Seas ACRs. George Thieringer of The Right Connection in Palmetto, FL, did the install for us after he found the cost of the Xantrex replacement solenoids had gone through the roof. We'll keep everyone informed as to the performance of the Blue Seas.
Attachments
Daisy-chained Blue Seas ACR install to replace Xantrex Pathmaker.
Daisy-chained Blue Seas ACR install to replace Xantrex Pathmaker.
Blue Seas.jpg (145.62 KiB) Viewed 31926 times
Bob and Barbara Harter
Second Wind
MV34 Hull #56
Tampa, FL
Phenix-former-owner
Site Admin

Post by Phenix-former-owner »

Lady of the Lake wrote:I use these:

I use them on my 36.

Sam
Can you describe or show where the combiner is installed and what it is connected to?
--
Lady of the Lake
Site Admin

Here is my architecture...

I have 2 starting batteries, one for each motor. I also have a house bank. I have 3 charging sources, engine charging, solar, and shore power/generator. It is my desire to charge all banks from all sources and not have to worry about manual switches.

Here is my solution...

Place a combiner between one motor and the house bank and a second combiner between the other motor and the house bank. The combiners will connect when charging so that all batteries are charging when a charge current is applied from any source. However, the combiners will disconnect automatically when the charge current is no longer applied, thereby isolating the engine batteries from the house bank allowing for discharge of the house bank without accidentally discharging the engine start batteries.

See here for details on the combiner:

See here for the combiner users manual with drawings:
http://www.yandina.com/acrobats/C100Data.pdf

And see here for the combiner FAQs:
http://www.yandina.com/combInfo.htm

Been using these since 2005 with no issues at all.

As a backup, I have also added manual switches on the discharge circuit in case I ever need to parallel the banks in the event of a failed battery, but this is nothing more than having a backup similar to connecting jumper cables.

Sam
Sam and Gina Densler
s/v Lady of the Lake
PDQ36 Hull #15
Punta Gorda, FL
Phenix-former-owner
Site Admin

Post by Phenix-former-owner »

Sam, my situation is simpler. I have two batteries ...

#1 I try and use for starting both engines only (Yamaha outboards)
#2 I try and use for house only

I have only two charging sources, the engines and shore power. So what I do no is turn the 1-2-BOTH switch to "1", start the engines, then turn the switch to "2". When I turn off the engines and sail, everything is running off of bank #2. When I want to start the engine(s), I turn the 1-2-BOTH switch to "1".

So using the Yandina combiner, what would I "combine" and what would be the position of the 1-2-BOTH switch at all times?
--
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

hi,

i think the combiner would go between the 2 batteries and the 1-2-both will normally be in the OFF position. if you leave it anywhere else you run the risk of a) accidental discharge or b) only charging one battery. the switch is only for emergencies. normally combiner eliminates the need for it.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
Lady of the Lake
Site Admin

Duetto is correct. My switch acts as a set of jumper cables.

Sam
Sam and Gina Densler
s/v Lady of the Lake
PDQ36 Hull #15
Punta Gorda, FL