Tall Sailors and the PDQ 34

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
danabbas
deckhand
deckhand

Tall Sailors and the PDQ 34

Post by danabbas »

Can any one tell me how comfortable a PDQ 34 is for tall sailors? I am 6'4" and have problems with headroom and access in engine rooms and other tight spaces on many boats. I sold my Freedom 40 a few years ago and am now looking for a powerboat to do the canals around Lake Ontario and perhaps eventually the Great Loop. I've seen a PDQ 34 from the dock but have not yet been able to go aboard and see for myself.
Mishigas
admiral
admiral

Re: Tall Sailors and the PDQ 34

Post by Mishigas »

Hi Dan, I am 6' 2" and get around fine on the MV34. Most areas should not be a problem even with the addl two inches of height. The beds are a standard queen size to if you can sleep without your feet hanging off one now, you should be good on the PDQ. As far as the engine rooms....well we dont really have "engine rooms". Under the beds, in the staterooms you have compartments that allow decent access to the engines. If you want to see one, come on down to Maryland just south of Annapolis and I would be happy to show you my 2005 boat. (It also happens to be for sale) Regards, Sandy
MV MISHIGAS :mrgreen:
danabbas
deckhand
deckhand

Post by danabbas »

Thanks, Sandy. I've seen the pictures and virtual tour of the PDQ on the pdqyachts.com website. I understand the engine room situation. I am more concerned about being able to stand up in the head, the shower, at the inside helm, etc.

I'm hoping to come to the Annapolis area the week of Labor Day to look at some boats. Yours is one I hope to see!
h.Mika

Post by h.Mika »

I am 6'6". In the hulls (galley, head including shower) you may be short of headroom -- I feel I need a couple of extra inches to straighten up. Absolutely no headroom problems in the common (settee) areas. Berths fit standard queen mattresses, with no extra room to dangle feet. Again, sitting up in bed leaves me short of head room (with 9" mattress). No problem for long legs or large feet getting onto the boat or up to the flybridge. I had the bimini custom made to about 6'8" of headroom on the flybridge. I have had no problems working on engines -- they are what they are, so to speak, and like someone said on the forum some time ago, it is nice to have a small kid around occasionally to help out (fortunately, I have one of those for the tight spaces). Seating throughout the boat is OK -- the lower helm seat was terrible until I had someone rebuild it and add extra bolster support and premium foam. In general, I stopped noticing lack of ideal headroom very early on. Some of the things I cherish most about the boat, relative to my size, include a very generous deck, and the genius of the railing around the outside of the main cabin which "fits" me very well.

As the shortest male in my family, I have never complained too much about lack of accommodation -- others have it far worse. However, I feel the inconveniences in the PDQ are minor, and I frankly find them on almost any boat I've been on.

HM