Opening forward hatch all the way for more air

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
AbbotsfordIII
deckhand
deckhand

Opening forward hatch all the way for more air

Post by AbbotsfordIII »

We have taken Abbotsford III North this summer to avoid the Annapolis summer heat, but it was hot this year even on Erie Canal, St. Lawrence and Champlain. We are now on the way home and planning improvements for this fall before heading South to the Keys. The struts on the forward middle window/port in the main cabin only allow opening about 20% of the way to horizontal (which would be fully open). We are former sailors so like to get air without turning on the A/C when possible and we mostly anchor, so are facing into the wind. The windshield wiper does not stop the window since it can lift above horizontal. One of the struts on the side of the window has a stop which is a very small stainless screw. Removing the screw allows the struts to come apart and the window to lift all the way, but how to hold it up? We have used a long piece of 1" nylon webbing (sail ties) with a turn around each side lever and then tied to the hand rail above. This allows the big window to be open to horizontal, but is not a neat solution. Somebody must have tackled this?

Doug & Charlotte Kerr
Abbotsford III
PDQ 34 #41
Annapolis
Bargain Bill
skipper
skipper

Re: Opening forward hatch all the way for more air

Post by Bargain Bill »

One of the first things I did when buying our PDQ 34 #029 was to disconnect the latch and prop the center window open wide using a 2' (approx) stick, giving the window a slight downward slope when opened. The base of the stick is next to the windlass and have never had it slip. If you do this and open the cabin windows while closing the salon door and other portholes, you will get a nice breeze that carries right thru the sleeping quarters. Of course we close and latch the center window when underway
Bill & Fran Carlson
Easy Riders MV34 #029
Ocean City, MD
Katlin
1st mate
1st mate

Post by Katlin »

I spent last winter in the Bahamas using a small piece of line one, end tied to the FB windscreen support and the other with two loops sized to slide over the center window locking handle - one loop to position the window wide open and a second about 1/3 open. When not in use, line folds up in back of windscreen for storage. Less cumbersom than a stick for storage and it can not be accidentally dislodged while in use.

John Sawyer
Katlin
SHINNDIG
deckhand
deckhand

Post by SHINNDIG »

Doug,

I know it's a bit late - I havn't checked the forum in quite a while. I came up with a very good solution for opening the front window to almost horizontal with a couple of West Marine adjustable hatch supports. No significant mods are required and it can easily be returned to factory stock set-up if desired. If you're still interested I'd be happy to provide details.

Jerry & Marian Shinn
MV 34 #45