Listing to port

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
Beechjetdriver
deckhand
deckhand

Listing to port

Post by Beechjetdriver »

This is a great forum and I know someone will have an answer for us:

We are very new owners of a 2005 PDQ 34. A couple of weeks ago I noticed the boat was listing to port at the dock (it may have always listed to port and I just never noticed). The port hull appears to sit about 3" to 4" lower in the water than the starboard. Both bilges are dry. Fuel tanks are full; holding tank empty. Fresh water is full, and the storage space under the galley floorboards is dry.

I found one other post regarding listing to port but that had to do with fresh water flooding of the galley after dockside water supply was left on with the host connected to the boat and the valve failed; not the case here.

I know the generator and water heater are two items in the port hull without equivalent weight in the starboard hull to balance them out, and our yacht tender is suspended from the davits with its transom and 85 lb. outboard hanging from the port side as well (next weekend I will rotate the tender 180 degrees and see if that makes a difference), There is a substantial Bruce anchor and chain stored in the generator compartment as well.

Besides these obvious reasons, is there any other reason she should be listing to port to this degree? We brought her from Stuart, Florida to Tampa Bay and had no issues underway.

Thanks.
Bob and Barbara Harter
Second Wind
MV34 Hull #56
Tampa, FL
Tanah-Keeta
admiral
admiral

Re: Listing to port

Post by Tanah-Keeta »

You nailed it... More weight on the port side....also fridge and the microwave and galley stuff.
Ron McDaniel
TK III 34108
Beechjetdriver
deckhand
deckhand

Post by Beechjetdriver »

Thanks. Guess not having noticed the list before made me think there was something else going on.
Bob and Barbara Harter
Second Wind
MV34 Hull #56
Tampa, FL
Spoff4
1st mate
1st mate

Post by Spoff4 »

Happy to see another PDQ in Tampa Bay!
Check for water in the port bow crash bulkhead compartment. The access is through the deck plate just forward of the generator locker.

We have only had our PDQ for a year or so, but let us know where you are docked and if we can help with any systems. Happy to compare notes and share info re parts sources, mechanics, etc.
George and Anita, Paul and Susan
Tampa Girl
MV 34 Hull #60
Tampa, Fl
Beechjetdriver
deckhand
deckhand

Post by Beechjetdriver »

We are at Twin Dolphin in Bradenton, though we live in Tampa.
How about you?
Bob and Barbara Harter
Second Wind
MV34 Hull #56
Tampa, FL
Spoff4
1st mate
1st mate

Post by Spoff4 »

Tampa Girl is docked at Tampa Yacht and Country Club. The house is in south Tampa.
George and Anita, Paul and Susan
Tampa Girl
MV 34 Hull #60
Tampa, Fl
Sno' Dog
skipper
skipper

Post by Sno' Dog »

Hello Bob & Barbara,

Yes, all the 34's have a tendency to list to port. We noticed this on the day we took delivery back in 2006.

The solution is to put everything heavy on the starboard side, certainly you want your dinghy oriented with motor to starboard.

We try to put only the lightest items in the port lockers. Even then, our port hull still tends to set a bit lower than the starboard.

Some folks have relocated their hot water heater to the forward starboard locker, this helps a bit. (It also gives you instant hot water in the shower. Stuart Yacht Builders have made this conversion on a couple boats.)

Good luck,
Henry
www.SnoDogLog.com
Bargain Bill
skipper
skipper

Post by Bargain Bill »

Beer,wine, canned goods, and spare oil & anchor in stbd hull, - - paper goods and fenders in the port side works for us.
Im not sold on the benefit of moving the water heater. I'll keep the huge stbd storage.
Bill & Fran Carlson
Easy Riders MV34 #029
Ocean City, MD
Beechjetdriver
deckhand
deckhand

Post by Beechjetdriver »

Henry and Bargain Bill, thank you so much for the advice.

Gregg Burdick of Stuart Yacht fame told Barbara and me he had moved the water heater on one boat to the starboard hull primarily for instant hot water, but he is also not a fan of having the hot water supply running through the engine cooling circuit. He did not mention that it would also balance the load.

One of the enticements that drew us to the PDQ 34 was this forum, and it has paid off in spades. Recently we replaced our Xantrex Pathmaker battery combiner with a dual Blue Seas set up after the solenoids failed. We will be reporting on how it goes in the future.

Thanks again. We love this forum and its contributors.
Bob and Barbara Harter
Second Wind
MV34 Hull #56
Tampa, FL