Front Window Retrofit

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
jgonnerman
skipper
skipper

Front Window Retrofit

Post by jgonnerman »

I am considering retrofitting an opening front window to my 2002 model year boat. As you all likely know this model relies on the ceiling hatch and flybridge vent for ventilation. Before spending the money I though I would make a call out for thoughts on the pro and cons of the idea.

Do later year models which came with an opening front window still have the ceiling hatch? Or did that hatch get eliminated due to changes in the flybridge. I have read the posts on methods for getting the front window further open to increase ventilation.

Did the opening window get added because it was just a neat idea or as mentioned did it become a necessity due to reconfiguration of the fly helm station? I sure do hate having to lean over to accurately read the tachs.

Thanks for any thoughts
John Gonnerman
San Diego Ca
"Westend Express"
2002 34 Hull 20
duetto
admiral
admiral

Re: Front Window Retrofit

Post by duetto »

hi jon,

you must have a late 2002. i thought they had an opening window albeit not a bomar like the later boats. we have a 2003 w/o opening window. i contacted bomar about fitting one. it would cost approx $2,000 by the time you're thru. i was surprised when they told me windows were custom made in that size and that they would only make after i had removed the fixed window and got physical dimension of the hole including corner radius. we decided against it but it was a tough decision.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
Ross Bowling
admiral
admiral

Re: Front Window Retrofit

Post by Ross Bowling »

J

While I have the opening front window, I have only had it open once or twice. I have Diamond Seaglaze windows, and PDQ did not install a phantom screen on the window. They changed to DSG just prior to the implosion, and had not figured out how to put the screen on the new window configuration.

Long way to suggest contacting DSG, they might be able to help. BTW, no ceiling hatches in my boat except in the shower. If the temps get to hot We usually flip on the AC rather than worry about the front window.

I will be at the boat next week if you need Sea Glaze contact info. I think they are located in BC.
Ross Bowling