Converting wired auto helm to wireless

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
rhumbline2
deckhand
deckhand

Converting wired auto helm to wireless

Post by rhumbline2 »

I have an older 2003 Ray Marine Autohelm that came with the boat. The hard wired auto helm controller has gone dead. Has anyone converted their helm controller to wireless and how big of a hassle is it. Ray Marine doesn't offer that part anymore.

James Mills
Rhumbline
MV-27
duetto
admiral
admiral

Re: Converting wired auto helm to wireless

Post by duetto »

hi james,

we had to do this last year. we bought the remote kit. once you figure out which version of the raymarine network you have it's straight forward. early boats, ours is #23, had the network as a daisy chain. later boats have a hub device. i can't help with the hub type.

with the early network you use the 2 adapters they provide to add your remote's base unit to a convient place in the daisy chain. once the base unit is connected to the network you add batteries to the remote and power it on. that's it.

for the most part it works as advertized. the first thing we noticed is that you lose your rudder indicator on the remote.

let me know know if you need help. good luck.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
rhumbline2
deckhand
deckhand

Post by rhumbline2 »

John & Diane,

Thanks for getting back to me about the autohelm. How do you figure out if you have a daisy chain or a hub setup? And, did you install the upgrade yourself or did a tech do it for you?

James Mills
Rhumbline
MV-27
Sarasota
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

hi james,

do a search on this site for "st600r". one of the responses describes the hub. the hub type has all instrument wired back to the hub. the daisy chain type has each instrument wired to another instrument. in the cabinet behind the steering wheel look at the autopilot unit and depth/speed or chartplotter. the daisy chain configuration uses "junction boxes" between instruments. these have 3 slots that the wires from instruments plug into. conversely the hub type has the wires going back to the hub.

the replacement remote contains parts to work with either type.

i installed the kit myself. it took a couple of hours. most of time was spent laying out placement.

what model year is your boat? the reason i ask is that pdq seemed to make lots of changes in 2004. 2003 was the "end" of the early boats.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
rhumbline2
deckhand
deckhand

Post by rhumbline2 »

John,

From the way you describe the daisy chain, I think I have the hub setup, even though my hull number is just a couple of numbers newer than yours. Hull 27 and a 2003. Also, in the installation part of the manual, it describes hooking the wires to a bus. There is a little bitty box that three of the wires go into, however, there is a direct connection from the chart plotter to the auto helm head display.

I guess I'll order the remote unit next week and go from there.

Thanks,

James
rhumbline2
deckhand
deckhand

Post by rhumbline2 »

John,

I should have reread your prior post before typing up the reply. Perhaps what I was looking at was a junction box. It is about a 1 inch by 2 inch little box that three wires plug into. Now I'm really confused. Perhaps I can take a picture of it next time at the boat and post that.

James
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

hi james,

yes, the "junction boxes" are about 1x2 and will have 2 or 3 wires plugged into them. if you have this layout then the installation will go something like this: 1) find a location to mount the remote unit base 2) decide which existing junction box will start the new part of the daisy chain. 3) decide where the new junction box (included in the kit) will be located. this is the only tricky part. it must be in a place where the wire from the junction box mention in step 2 and the wire from the new base from step 1 will both reach. think this thru carefully. 4) drill and mount the base and junction box 5) insert batteries in remote and turn on. remote and base will auto connect.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
rhumbline2
deckhand
deckhand

Post by rhumbline2 »

John,

Thanks so much for your help. Yes, I must have the daisy chain setup. Just a couple of more questions. Where did you end up mounting your base unit and extra junction box? Did you get the simple remote with no display or the one that comes with a display? If you got the one with the display and still can't get your rudder angle indicator, I'm inclined to get the one without or if you got the one with the display, do you find it useful? Finally, do you still have the original chart plotter that came with the boat? Getting all new electronics for the boat seems like a pretty big project and there is not much room to work with.

Thanks again,

James
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

hi james,

i mounted the base unit on the back wall of the instrument console, right under the steering wheel. i mounted the junction box under the chartplotter. i'll say the only important part of this is that the places need to be close enough for all the wires to connect. the remote that we got has a single small rectangular window that is about 3/4"x2". there are buttons for port & starboard and pilot & standby. it's pretty rudimentary. i miss the rudder indicator but if i could get it i'd have to weigh the price. we still have all our original instruments.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
rhumbline2
deckhand
deckhand

Post by rhumbline2 »

John,
Thanks so much for your help with the auto helm project. I have installed and wired it up. The remote powers up and seems like it will work. I won't know for sure until I get Rhumbline out of the boat yard. I'll let you and the forum know.
James
Rhumbline
MV-27
rhumbline2
deckhand
deckhand

Post by rhumbline2 »

Hi all. The wireless remote is working. It took a little bit of tuning up at first. There are three settings - power boat, fishing boat and sail boat. Once I switched to the power boat mode it recognized the network and started working. It takes a little time to find the network and if you don't use for a while it turns off. Also, no ruder position indicator. I liked the hardwired unit better but I am real glad to have an auto helm again. Thanks again John for all your help on the subject.

James
Rhumbline
Hull 27