leaky windows?

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
nocall
1st mate
1st mate

leaky windows?

Post by nocall »

During a recent tropical storm accompanied by driving rain and wind, we noted a very small trickle of water running down the bulkhead between the galley and the guest stateroom on our 2005 MV34 (hull 63). The water was seen pooling on the top of the tall cabinet just aft of the sinks. Nothing was seen in the stateroom. I took down the galley headliner to try and trace the source and it seems that it is coming from the salon window. From the discoloration, it also seems that this may have been leaking for a while. Has anyone else had such a problem and, if so, what was the problem and how did you solve it? We tried pulling off the black rubber trim from the outside of the window, cleaning up the window surface, and then using some black silicone caulk at the junction of the glass and the frame before replacing the trim. Does the rubber trim do anything to help keep water intrusion at bay? Is is possible to find replacements for such? Any other suggestions?
SecondWind
admiral
admiral

Re: leaky windows?

Post by SecondWind »

We have used a flowable silicone sealant to seal leaks like this.
Terry Green
s/v Second Wind
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

hi tom,

i'm not familiar with the term "flowable" silicon. what is it? do you have a particular product name?
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
SecondWind
admiral
admiral

Post by SecondWind »

"Flowable Silicone", product # 75009, made by Versachem.
Terry Green
s/v Second Wind
SecondWind
admiral
admiral

Post by SecondWind »

It is a sealant for sealing automotive windshields.
Terry Green
s/v Second Wind
nocall
1st mate
1st mate

Post by nocall »

I will give this stuff a try. Hey, what can it hurt? As I don't know exactly where the leak originates, I suppose I will apply it to everything on or near the window. Has anyone removed the interior part of the Bomar windows (with the screws) to investigate leak sources? I am hesitant to get into a mess of snakes involving windows in Florida's prime rainy season. :-)
James Power
admiral
admiral

Post by James Power »

Hey Nocall,

Removing the interior aluminum trim is pretty straight forward. The window will still be held in position by the sealant around the outside edge, and this will give a chance to check for other leaks. The black rubber trim on the outside is not designed to be a seal, just there to cover the glazing and look good. Replacement material should be available thru Bomar.

James