Water supply

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
JohnandBeth
deckhand
deckhand

Water supply

Post by JohnandBeth »

Has anyone ever connected the shore water directly to their boat without going through the water tank? Is this even possible? How nice it would be to shower and not have to fill the tank so often when staying in a marina for an extended period of time!
John and Beth
island Time
John and Beth Grooms
Island Time
MV 34 #17
Tanah-Keeta
admiral
admiral

Re: Water supply

Post by Tanah-Keeta »

TK III (hull # 108) came with the water inlet installed. I have never used it because I was concerned that I could fill the boat with water if any connection failed. This has happened to friends of mine.
Ron McDaniel
TK III 34108
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

you can buy the t fitting. it would be spliced into fresh water supply upstream from pump. i think it may need a check valve if it isn't built into the t. how often do you have to fill the tank?

i also saw a boat sink across the dock from us when a pipe broke. if you go that way you must get in the habit of turning off water at the dock when you leave the boat.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
Catrina
1st mate
1st mate

Post by Catrina »

We use the water inlet that was installed and really enjoy the long showers. But the key component I added is a Melnor - Model 101 Water Flow timer. You set it for the number of gallons you want then it shuts off. We always set it for 100 gallons so if there is a leak we will not dump much more than our water tank would. We purchased ours at Home Depot. A number of meters measure time, you need one that measures Gallons.

As others have said, Do Not use the water inlet without some type of shutoff.
Catrina - MV34 Hull # 55 - 110HP - 4 Blade props
NavyA4
deckhand
deckhand

Post by NavyA4 »

Remember to turn your water pump off when using dock water. Also, consider getting a pressure reduction valve to put on the dock water hose before attaching the hose to the boat. Dock water pressure can overpower the low pressure pipe connectors on the boat's plumbing. Even with the precautions mentioned on this thread, there is still a risk of flooding when hooked up to dock water.
Steve & Hedy Fagan
M/V Volare
Hull #100
Ross Bowling
admiral
admiral

Post by Ross Bowling »

Long showers are OK, but with a 6 gal hot water heater, I think you might be looking at a Long Cold Shower. BTW the Fresh Water tank on Vita Bella is 80 gal. Per the manual.
Ross Bowling
Bargain Bill
skipper
skipper

Post by Bargain Bill »

The minor inconvenience of filling our tank every 5 days does not compare to the risk of an always on unlimited water supply.
Bill & Fran Carlson
Easy Riders MV34 #029
Ocean City, MD