9'6" dinghy

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
Spoff4
1st mate
1st mate

9'6" dinghy

Post by Spoff4 »

We are upgrading from our small Aquapro RIB to something larger (probably a 9'6" Mercury). In addition to being longer, and a bit heavier than the Aquapro, the Mercury is also beamer. We know we will have to raise and lower the boat on an angle to clear the inside of the hulls. We'd like to hear from anyone using a larger dinghy to see if there are any additional issues of which we should be aware.

Also, we have read about "upgraded davits". Attached are a couple of photos of the davits we have on our 2005 PDQ. Anyone know whether those are the upgraded davits?
Thanks.
Attachments
Lulu dinghy from stern(693233.1).jpg
George and Anita, Paul and Susan
Tampa Girl
MV 34 Hull #60
Tampa, Fl
nocall
1st mate
1st mate

Re: 9'6" dinghy

Post by nocall »

We actually have a 9'6" AB Lammina RIB on Elixir. You do have to push it around a bit when lifting it on the davits (mainly to clear the port hull) but it is manageable by two people without too much trouble. We carry it with the engine to starboard. We did make a flat fender to try and keep from scratching the hull with the outboard's Doel fin when hoisting the dink. Once hoisted, it is not an issue and with care, is probably not needed. We chose the Lammina because it has a flat floor and is much lighter weight than a fiberglass model. Ours has a 9.8 hp Tohatsu outboard. If I could find a 15 hp two-stroke anymore, that is actually what I would prefer. A 15 hp four-stroke I believe might work but the weight is an issue. We leave the fuel tank in the dinghy as it fits in the forward compartment and the fuel supply line runs under the floor. It could be taken out for travel but we have not seen the need to do so. Width of this model is not a problem and it snugs up very well. We do add additional strapping to prevent swaying if we are doing anything more than a short hop on flat water. Elixir has a triple block on the engine side of the davit and a double block on the other end. I'll try to take a photo the next time I have the dinghy on the davits. Hope this helps! Bruce
duetto
admiral
admiral

Re: 9'6" dinghy

Post by duetto »

hi,

we use an ab 9'6" with a 15hp 2 stroke. this setup broke our original set of factory davits. the upgraded davits look much like the originals but with added gussets. it's hard to tell from your picture what you have. i believe in 2005 factory was still shipping originals. strapping the dinghy so it can't move in any direction is key. we didn't have a strap around tube @ stern and that was a major factor in our collapse, as was the big waves. i believe that you can get the davit factory to weld gussets to bring older davits to the new spec.

we replaced our collapsed davits with st croix.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23