Generator Problem

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
Allezcat
admiral
admiral

Generator Problem

Post by Allezcat »

My Northern Lights generator is pumping water out of the coolant overflow tube in a steady stream and the unit is difficult to start. Can I assume the head gasket is blown pressurizing the coolant system? Is coolant getting into the cylinders causing hydraulic lock? Or maybe seawater is getting into the fresh water system? Maybe thru a failed heat exchanger or ???
Help please!
Chet
MVP 34 / 2006
Tanah-Keeta
admiral
admiral

Re: Generator Problem

Post by Tanah-Keeta »

Hi Chet,

I had a similar problem. The issue turned out to be a plugged exhaust elbow. It pressurized the heat exchanger and the rubber boots that seal it. Sea water then flowed into the the water tank and it pushed all the coolant out the overflow and replaced it with seawater.
Ron McDaniel
TK III 34108
Tanah-Keeta
admiral
admiral

Re: Generator Problem

Post by Tanah-Keeta »

Another couple of thoughts...

remove the rubber boot at the exhaust elbow and see if it is plugged.

When mine failed, I immediately assumed it was the heat exchanger....bought one, installed it, tightened up the boots real good and started the genset. The rubber boots started blowing up like a balloon due to the blockage in the elbow. Thats when I removed the boot and examined the elbow. So... don't spend $300 on a heat exchanger unless you are certain it is the problem....ie - a failed pressure test.

A side issue developed... due to the pressure on the seawater side, my raw water pump developed a leak and had to be replaced.

Also...as soon as you can, run some salt-away through the engine cooling system.....several passes... gravity flow....until you get all the salt out...I then passed one load of coolant thru and replaced that also.

You will also find all that coolant that was displaced in the stbd bilge.

If it is not the elbow or the heat exchanger....you are on your own...my knowledge stops here..
Ron McDaniel
TK III 34108