Getting off the boat

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
jgonnerman
skipper
skipper

Getting off the boat

Post by jgonnerman »

My normal routine at my home slip is to let a line handler get off the boat from the swim step and then tie the lines.

What devices, fender with steps/temporary flexible steps have other owners used to get to the dock from the boat when the boat can't be maneuvered to get to the dock from the swim step. Most of the docks on the west coast are floating docks/pontoons so they are at the same relative height relative to the boat regardless of tide and usually even with the lowest or next higher swim step. Therefore a BIG step from the deck.

Thanks for any ideas.
John Gonnerman
San Diego Ca
"Westend Express"
2002 34 Hull 20
SecondWind
admiral
admiral

Re: Getting off the boat

Post by SecondWind »

We have a "Little Giant" step ladder that can be left on the home dock or folded to carry. Ours is four steps. The steps are very wide as opposed to a regular ladder and there is a folding handle at the top.
Terry Green
s/v Second Wind
thinwater
admiral
admiral

Post by thinwater »

A. Add lifeline gates at each bow. It makes it easier to step or sit and slide off.

B. Practice many different aproaches. You should be able to park the boat with some corner against the dock. Twin screws!

C. Try placing lines ashore with a boat hook. You should not need to get off until several lines are on.

D. Sometimes you need to get close and then warp the boat wherebyou want it.

E. Disembark line handler at some more convineient place and have him meet you.

F. Sometimes a srep stool, after all is done.

Many answers.
Writing full time since 2014.
"Rigging Modern Anchors,"Seaworthy Press, https://www.amazon.com/Rigging-Modern-A ... 1948494078
Book Store. http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/2017/ ... store.html
Marc Gershel
admiral
admiral

Post by Marc Gershel »

I'm not sure I understand this question. Are you asking how to get the linehandler off the boat?
I singlehand most of the time, and my method is to manuever my stern quarter to the closest cleat or piling to where I want to tie up. Then I throw or place or pole out a loop of line, which is tied to the stern cleat, around it. I then pull the stern close to that cleat ,and tie it off. I then put the opposite side engine in forward so that the boat stays against the dock. I then leisurely walk around and throw all my docklines ashore, and then get off the boat and tie everything off. Then I get back on, and shut down the engines. Only one line is needed to hold the boat in place. This is all way easier than I'm making it sound. Having another person aboard who knows what you're doing, is even easier. I still don't understand what the step is for.
Marc
thinwater
admiral
admiral

Post by thinwater »

I rememmber someone describing that as a 'one-line motor moor.' A very useful concept for the single hander. Often, at the pump-out for example, it is all that is neeed.
Writing full time since 2014.
"Rigging Modern Anchors,"Seaworthy Press, https://www.amazon.com/Rigging-Modern-A ... 1948494078
Book Store. http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/2017/ ... store.html
Gusto
skipper
skipper

Post by Gusto »

We bought a "fenderstep" from West Marine. It has totally solved the problem of getting from the side deck to a low dock. It is a rubber fender with the two line attachment rings located above the body of the fender. Attach the lines to the bottom of the stanchions on either side of the gate and adjust the height of the fender to suit. It is amazingly stable and of course it won' damage your hull side. Small and easy to store too.