Fuel Pickups

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
jgonnerman
skipper
skipper

Fuel Pickups

Post by jgonnerman »

In my 2002 build year boat I have some type of 1/2" plastic hose (currently a bit stiff/rigid) used for the fuel pickups in both forward and aft tanks. Does anyone have a clue as to what type of material it is and where it can be sourced. My local marine shop in San Diego, San Diego Marine Exchange, which is a hardcore marine store versus a West Marine is flummoxed as to what to replace it with.

Thank you
John Gonnerman
San Diego Ca
"Westend Express"
2002 34 Hull 20
Cat Daddy
1st mate
1st mate

Re: Fuel Pickups

Post by Cat Daddy »

I don't have the answer on what type of material the tube is, but I am familiar with that part. On my tank(hull 32), the 90 degree street ell that the hard plastic tube is pressed onto has a tiny wire screen inside. Maybe only 3/8" in diameter. On a 20 hour gulf crossing, both started clogging and vacuum gauges got as high as 24". The obvious was to change Racor's, but not much improvement. It took some head scratching but I did figure it out and it was not very difficult to clean( a coat hanger & some spray carb cleaner). I am considering removing the screens. Maybe this info will be of use to someone with odd fuel delivery problems.

Also, I was told that there may be more usable fuel if the tubes were extended a bit, depends on how far they are off the bottom. I think a good tank cleaning would be required also.

If you find the material please post.

Rafe
Rafe Williams
"Cat Daddy"
MV34 #32
Ross Bowling
admiral
admiral

Post by Ross Bowling »

Sounds like a question for James Powers!
Ross Bowling
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

do a search on the forum. i believe pdq recommended removing the screens.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
jgonnerman
skipper
skipper

Post by jgonnerman »

Yeah I had the problem of stainless screens clogging on a sailboat. On my PDQ the pickup there is no screen only a miter cut at the bottom to be able draw out the dregs. It nearly touches the tank bottom as this is the generator fuel pickup I would like to replace.
John Gonnerman
San Diego Ca
"Westend Express"
2002 34 Hull 20