Rudders Not Aligned

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
h.Mika

Rudders Not Aligned

Post by h.Mika »

There have not been too many posts on steering problems over the years, but maybe you can help me out before I take a plunge into darkness.

Due to a broken hip, I made only two very short trips this year. The first was uneventful, and surely my steering was "normal" and effortless. The second trip was also short, but the steering had become very difficult. I stopped the boat, and went through the rudder aligning procedure. But it didn't help. I expected when the boat was pulled for the season that I would find a rudder fouled with a line, etc. Instead, the rudders are clean, but the front edges are toed in towards each other. The easy fix would be adding fluid, except that I can find no leaks. I'll try the alignment procedure again, then go to bleeding lines, then to ???

I would appreciate your ideas . . . thank you.
duetto
admiral
admiral

Re: Rudders Not Aligned

Post by duetto »

hi,

sounds like you have quite a bit of air in the system. try bleeding.

over the years there have been discussions of steering problems. do a search.

good luck.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
James Power
admiral
admiral

Re: Rudders Not Aligned

Post by James Power »

I would try an alignment again. Turn the wheel hard over to port, open the tie bar valve, try turning further to port, close the valve, then repeat process to starboard. James