How well do the MV 34s hold their value?

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
deising
admiral
admiral

How well do the MV 34s hold their value?

Post by deising »

I don't let my tendency to over-analyze things get in the way of having fun, but I still like to analyze. :)

I have no idea what 2005 or 2006 boats were selling for brand new, but I know what current sellers would like to get for those boats that have generally been very well kept. With the current used prices pretty high for our pocketbook, it might ease my mind a bit to have evidence that the boat we buy will likely maintain her value pretty well (given good maintenance and attention to cosmetics).

Anyone care to share information of that kind? Thanks!
Duane Ising
m/v Diva Di
Punta Gorda, FL
2006 PDQ MV 34 - hull 91, 75HP, 3-blade
jgonnerman
skipper
skipper

Re: How well do the MV 34s hold their value?

Post by jgonnerman »

I would suggest looking at older and newer build years to make a comparison regarding depreciation rates on the boats. Since you admit to being analytical try plotting a graph. If you purchase a 2005 build year and than attempt to resell in 2 years it should be equivalent to a 2003 right now. Engine hours delta will also likely be equivalent. Of course certain aspects such as the new galley and bridge layout will have minor impacts but a current comparison of a 2005 versus a 2003 should give you a reasonable sense of how much the deprecation component of ownership will cost. For used boats it's much more linear just as it is on cars.

I suspect that depreciation on power boats is in general a bit higher per year than on Catalinas/sailboats because I have found that sailboat (especially cruising) owners fail to factor in age/usage on running rigging and sails. Having raced keelboats for number of years I used to purchase new mains, jibs, and chutes on about a 1.5 a year basis for each sail. The cost of the wind was free but capturing it was pricey
John Gonnerman
San Diego Ca
"Westend Express"
2002 34 Hull 20
deising
admiral
admiral

Post by deising »

Thanks, John. I had the notion that the noticeable improvements in the model since 2003 and 2004 would factor in more heavily, but your approach sounds like a good one, so I will do that.
Duane Ising
m/v Diva Di
Punta Gorda, FL
deising
admiral
admiral

Post by deising »

Well, I don't know how well received this info will be, but using all the current asking prices from 2003 to 2006, the graph of the average asking price versus number of years old (2014 minus model year) shows a fairly linear relationship, as John predicted. This points to about $20K decline in asking price per year, which might be easy to accept if you are looking at selling several years after purchase.

If that decline continued at the same rate, however, you would be listing your 2006 boat for a full $100K less than you paid for it just 5 years later, which I would find hard to believe (market factors being roughly equivalent). I think if the boat ages well, the depreciation must change from linear to a curve at some point.

I guess it is true that you can make a small fortune investing in boats; you just need to start with a large fortune. :lol:
Duane Ising
m/v Diva Di
Punta Gorda, FL