converting salon table to drop-leaf

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
deising
admiral
admiral

converting salon table to drop-leaf

Post by deising »

Has anyone converted the solid table to a drop-leaf? I assume it is the same Tricel honeycomb core material with the cherry veneer. It would seem to be a job for a craftsman who has worked successfully with that material before.

Thanks for any info you can provide.
Duane Ising
m/v Diva Di
Punta Gorda, FL
2006 PDQ MV 34 - hull 91, 75HP, 3-blade
Tom Green
skipper
skipper

Re: converting salon table to drop-leaf

Post by Tom Green »

We removed the original table with the core. We replaced it with an all teak one where the leafs fold up on top of the center portion. We have a single low and high pedestal. Normally we use the low one and fold the table up when we are underway and use it as a serving table and can get in around it very easily. We just fold the leafs out at night to make a bed of it when we want. That way we don't need to change the pedestal. With the high pedestal, the table can be narrow or fold out to be large. When narrow, there are no leafs hanging down. Regardless of how you approach the modification, I would definitely recommend leafs that fold up rather than down.
Tom & Nanci Green
Diastole
MV3499
deising
admiral
admiral

Post by deising »

Thanks for the detailed info and advice, Tom. I have a highly recommended cabinet maker who works exclusively on boats coming over Mon.
Duane Ising
m/v Diva Di
Punta Gorda, FL
2006 PDQ MV 34 - hull 91, 75HP, 3-blade
nocall
1st mate
1st mate

Post by nocall »

Did you get the table converted to a drop leaf? If so, how did it work out? Sounds like a very worthy mod. Sure would like to see photos if you have any.