Water Gauge

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
Gusto
skipper
skipper

Water Gauge

Post by Gusto »

It's frustrating not to know how much water is in the tank but we have been reluctant to buy and install an electric sender and gauge because we like to keep things simple. I built a simple device mounted on top of the access port to allow me to simply stick the tank. I bought a 1" diameter PVC schedule 80 floor flange and a 1" diameter PVC plug from Lowes and screwed it to the access port cover. I drilled a 1" diameter hole in the cover. Now I simply unscrew the plug and stick the tank using a 1/2" dowel. Simple, cheap and totally reliable. See Photos.
Attachments
Water Gauge 3.JPG
Water Gauge 2.JPG
Water Gauge 1.JPG
deising
admiral
admiral

Re: Water Gauge

Post by deising »

That is a very simple idea. What do you do to assess the level of your holding tank?
Duane Ising
m/v Diva Di
Punta Gorda, FL
2006 PDQ MV 34 - hull 91, 75HP, 3-blade
Ross Bowling
admiral
admiral

Post by Ross Bowling »

On Vita Bella (Hull 114), we have gauges in the head showing fresh water & holding tank levels. I wonder if James could retrofit those that are not equipped with these?
Ross Bowling
deising
admiral
admiral

Post by deising »

I have talked to owners who have had James install tank gauges, but the original poster said he wanted to avoid installing senders and gauges.
Duane Ising
m/v Diva Di
Punta Gorda, FL
Ross Bowling
admiral
admiral

Post by Ross Bowling »

Very Simple, I just look at the gauge! ;-)
Ross Bowling
SecondWind
admiral
admiral

Post by SecondWind »

From A previous thread, I believe that Snake River Electronics has changed its name.
Re: Waste Holding Tank
Snake River Electronics sells a probe that fits into the tank to measure the liquid level. On the plus side they read several tanks, so you can buy probes for water and fuel tanks.

https://tankedge.com/products.html
Terry Green
s/v Second Wind
deising
admiral
admiral

Post by deising »

Our boat had gauges for the water and waste tank installed at the factory. My question about the waste/holding tank was for the original poster.
Duane Ising
m/v Diva Di
Punta Gorda, FL
Gusto
skipper
skipper

Post by Gusto »

In terms of the waste tank, we haven't added a sender and gauge. We've had them in the past and had to clean the sensor periodically. Not fun. I did install a manual overboard pump because the electric pump wasn't reliable and to simplify the system.
teamwork
skipper
skipper

Post by teamwork »

Teamwork installed a small meter on pipe into water pump.Works well. onsetcomp.com Google water flow meter T-minol-130. I didn't get the remote sender, but will. A little difficult to read in place. You will have to be able to do the math,,, add/subtract.