Flybridge enclosure??

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
Ross Bowling
admiral
admiral

Flybridge enclosure??

Post by Ross Bowling »

We are giving some thought to having a flybridge enclosure made for the boat. It gets a bit chilly running around SF Bay. Beside the obvious that it would add windage, I'm looking for disadvantages and other advantages from those that have had it done. I'm also looking to see who did the work and a range of costs. I know it is not cheap, but canvas work is quite high in the SF Bay Area.
Ross Bowling
sailkane
skipper
skipper

Re: Flybridge enclosure??

Post by sailkane »

We have the enclosure....love it. You can zip up the front windows during the rain or light showers and not abandon the flying bridge, even on those choppy, wave days where the bow wave splashes up.

Of course the down side is they need extra care to wash and clean and have a limited life before the cloud.....be very careful with cleaning products.
jgonnerman
skipper
skipper

Post by jgonnerman »

Hi Ross,
Thank you once again for all the help you have given me in the past.

I agree being under the shade of the bimini underway in the west coast gets chilly.

I had the flybridge enclosure installed at time of purchase (12/2007) by a canvas company in Stuart. All of my canvas which was a top, bridge enclosure (with a storm skirt), rear seat cushions, phifertex window screens, and a awning which attached to the storm skirt at the top handrail and to removable struts on my davit. total cost back then was between 12,500 and 13,000. materials were stataglass, and stamoid for the enclosure. The bimini top and enclosure lasted till the fall of 2014 at which time the coating was flaking off the stamoid and the stratglass was starting to get cloudy, it stayed the same color and didn't turn brown but it was getting hazy. Bigger issue was that it was starting to get brittle and was cracking. phifertex is also due for replacment.

Maintenance over the years was a pain in the behind ( i maintain my own boat), According to the Straglass "rules" one has to use their expensive emoluments or bad things will happen. I faithfully used their products. At the end did the extra cost for the stratglas versus plex and the cleaning products make any difference. I don't think so

I am currently doing the enclosure over. I installed a "hard to top" cover (which also provided a location for 3 100 watt flexible solar panels)and am having an enclosure built (Baja Canvass in SD-they make all the enclosures for the Mikelson boats) using riviera vinyl and makralon (poly carb) the enclosure using the the polycarb cost is 6000. we have no one in the San Diego area that currently produces the EZ2C product which I would likely chose if I could get it done locally. Other estimates for an enclosure with 60mil Plexiglas ran 5000-6000. Although I am fairly far down the replacement path I would probably should have gone with the makralon in the fronts and plex on the sides and rear.

One should likely look at the enclosure on a cost per year basis when considering the various options. The biggest motivator in my case was that the polycarb is a wash and dry material and does not need all the darn polishing of regular plex.

As far as windage I never noticed a great deal of impact on fuel burn (I run about 13+ if the ocean lets me) although I did on a couple of occasions open all the windows which of course forces one back to the lower helm or bundle up. I am sure it made docking in cross wind a bit more exciting.

I would highly recommend the enclosure its just a matter of which materials to pick. Its great underway and nice on sunny but chilly and breezy days as its just like a sunporch when in an anchorage or dock yachting
John Gonnerman
San Diego Ca
"Westend Express"
2002 34 Hull 20
Bargain Bill
skipper
skipper

Post by Bargain Bill »

Once you have a flybridge enclosure, you will never accept less. Our 2003 #29 had the flybridge enclosure when we bought it in 2006. We use it to block the wind and channel the wind which greatly improves comfort for all on the flybridge. Keeps you dry - - even in a driving rain. It also keeps the bugs at bay, even though the back is open. I pilot from the flybridge 96% of the time.

During its 11 year life the first components to go were the plexiglass curtains. When I replace the enclosure I will use EZ2CY for the forward panels.

The first thing to show its age was the plexiglass, but I would keep plexiglass for the remaining panels.

Next to fail was the thread. It has had some failures and needed re-stitching. Make sure the fabricators do NOT use the cheap thread. One brand is the recognized best (i forget the name, but they all know it) - - and it costs about $150 more than the "standard" to use.

Sunbrella fabric (black) had held up well in the year-round Florida sun. I use 303 protectant on it every 6 mos and it looks like it will last another 3+ years.
Bill & Fran Carlson
Easy Riders MV34 #029
Ocean City, MD