Water intrusion into engine from exhaust

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
jgonnerman
skipper
skipper

Water intrusion into engine from exhaust

Post by jgonnerman »

I recently had a stupid attack which resulted in having to replace the exhaust hose between the exhaust elbow so decided to replace the entire run of hose. (ran engine without raw water, water was flowing when i left the dock but the lid on the strainer which i had cleaned was loose and allowed air to enter and overheated the hose)

As I replaced the hose and got more familiar with it, it occurred to me that the rise from the hull outlet to the high point in the hose run isn't very great. My boat is 12+ years old and water intrusion has not yet been a problem.

My question can the worse case set of circumstances cause a problem. ie backing down with an engine shut down cause water to flow into the engine. I don't know if the muffler can restrict backflow.

Any thoughts?

Thank you
John Gonnerman
San Diego Ca
"Westend Express"
2002 34 Hull 20
Catrina
1st mate
1st mate

Re: Water intrusion into engine from exhaust

Post by Catrina »

Water intrusion can happen. Mine occurred when boat was in fresh water (it sits lower in fresh water) with the stern facing open water. Storm built up waves and had water intrusion. Fix included making the exhaust loop higher and longer, but make sure you have a back pressure test done after the change.

Mark
Catrina - MV34 Hull # 55 - 110HP - 4 Blade props