Need Window lock

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
AMCarter3
admiral
admiral

Need Window lock

Post by AMCarter3 »

The window lock on the sliding window port side next to the chart table on our 34' PowerCat is missing. Anyone know where I might find one online?
Mac Carter
2006 34' PDQ PowerCat "All Heart"; MV 98; twin 100 HP Yanmars
Home Port: Bellingham WA 98229
jbrad
skipper
skipper

Re: Need Window lock

Post by jbrad »

Good Morning,

Not sure if they are still available, but John Sawyer posted this in 2010 identifying the part as follows:

With lots of help from the folks at Bomar, I've found the handle. The PDQ main salon sliders (at least for my 2005 MV) were manufactured by the Aluminum2000 Division of Bomar now Pompanette. The replacement handle is Bomar part number 40-2158 at $2.70 each and can be ordered from Bomar Customer Service 603-826-5791. My thanks to Dennis Makibbin in the engineering group of Aluminum2000 group for identifying the window and handle. His contact information is dmakibbin@aluminum2000.com phone 717-715-6900.
John Sawyer
Katlin MV34/076

The resources of this forum are great, good luck.

Jimmy
Mr Busy
MV034/059
MR BUSY
jbrad
skipper
skipper

Post by jbrad »

I just talked to Bomar @ 603-826-5791. The part is available direct from them @ 12.00 ea, however the minimum order from them direct is is $30.00. They suggested ordering from any of their distributers if only one is needed. The part number is P40-2158.

Hope this helps,

Jimmy
Mr Busy MV34/059
MR BUSY
coast2coast
deckhand
deckhand

Post by coast2coast »

I need one of those as well, perhaps if there is a third person needing one we can get together and order 3 from Pompanette. I tried Defender and they cannot find the part number.
Regards,
John Watts
Gold Looper 10/11/16
http://c2ccruises.blogspot.com/
James Power
admiral
admiral

Post by James Power »

Hi all, might want to also order the split pins that secure the handle to the window frame as they are not included with a handle order. James
jbrad
skipper
skipper

Post by jbrad »

James,

Do you happen to have the part number for the pins?

Jimmy
MR BUSY
James Power
admiral
admiral

Post by James Power »

Hey Jimmy, I had a look thru my files here at home and looks like the info is back in Florida. Try phoning Tracy in customer service at Bomar, she was able to track them down in the past. Call if you have questions during the replacement. James
AMCarter3
admiral
admiral

Post by AMCarter3 »

Very helpful, Jimmy! Thanks. (sorry for the delay in responding)
Mac Carter
AMCarter3
admiral
admiral

Post by AMCarter3 »

Again, thanks to Jimmy for pointing me in the right direction. Here's what's needed to replace a window latch on a PDQ PowerCat. Note the additional "Roll Pin" needed. I received this info from Pompanette (which now owns Bomar) today (5/6/16):

"Sounds like you have Bomar windows in your PDQ. 3 different companies made windows for them and they are all part of Pompanette now. The 40-2158 latch is what was used on the Bomar sliders. You will also need a Roll Pin, # 4241965. (if the original one is not in the glass edge piece. If it is, you can reuse it)
You can order the parts from customer service at 603-826-5791. The attached shows views of the latch to be sure that is what you have and how to install it.

Dennis Makibbin
Sales Engineer
Commercial Products
Pompanette, LLC
603-826-5791
Attachments
40-2158_window latch.JPG
BOMAR SLIDER latch install.pdf
(72.63 KiB) Downloaded 556 times
Mac Carter
AMCarter3
admiral
admiral

Post by AMCarter3 »

Does anyone know how to safely remove the sliding window panel from the frame to gain access to the fixed window... I think that is what needs to happen to install the latch and roll pin.
Mac Carter
AMCarter3
admiral
admiral

Post by AMCarter3 »

For anyone interested in this issue, I successfully replaced the window latch. It was surprisingly easy. With the help of our maintenance "pro", we did the following... all from outside the cabin:
1. Removed the U-shaped rim gasket starting at the top of the outer window frame and removed that window.
2. Then removed the U-shaped rim gasket starting at the top of the inner window frame and removed that window. Both came out easily.
3. Then removed the broken latch and the rolled pin that holds it in place from the inner window.
4. Laid the inner window down (on supports on the deck) and installed the new latch with a new rolled pin. Added a bit of silicon to secure the latch. (we could have re-used the old rolled pin)
5. Re-installed both windows -- inner window gasket and window first; outer window gasket & window next. Voila! Done! Latch worked!

Again, thanks for the support from this forum!
Mac Carter
Ortolan
skipper
skipper

Post by Ortolan »

I now have a broken window latch as well. Did any of you order some from Pompanette & end up with an extra one (due to the minimum order amount)?

If so, I'd like to buy one from you.

Thanks.
Russ
Twin Sisters
PRIOR Owners of a 2006 MV34
www.esc-pod.com
AMCarter3
admiral
admiral

Post by AMCarter3 »

I have a spare but I'm keeping it for replacing the latch when one breaks again. Given the design, they are quite vulnerable to breaking.

There was no minimum order when I placed my order at Pompanette.
Mac Carter
Ortolan
skipper
skipper

Post by Ortolan »

Mac’s instructions were great, but (at least with my windows) you don’t have to remove the entire surround of window track - mine had a separate 3’ top piece which is all you need to remove to be able to lift the window panels out.

Also, my new handles didn’t have the holes for the roll pins drilled out - I had to line them up & drill the 1/8” holes.

Otherwise, an easy 20 minute job.
Russ
Twin Sisters
PRIOR Owners of a 2006 MV34
www.esc-pod.com