How to screen off deck gap under aft seat

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
AMCarter3
admiral
admiral

How to screen off deck gap under aft seat

Post by AMCarter3 »

We're worried about gear sliding off the aft deck under the seat. It seems odd that PDQ did not at least install some kind of a raised rail under the aft seat. I recall seeing a photo of another Powercat with some kind of screen or netting material used as a barrier to prevent stuff from sliding off the rear deck into the water. I'd appreciate seeing pictures of what others have done to deal with this issue.
Mac Carter
2006 34' PDQ PowerCat "All Heart"; MV 98; twin 100 HP Yanmars
Home Port: Bellingham WA 98229
coast2coast
deckhand
deckhand

Re: How to screen off deck gap under aft seat

Post by coast2coast »

I bought some 3/8" nylon netting and used electrical ties to secure it to the seat back and the seat supports. Even though it goes all the way to the deck there is nothing securing it to the deck below the seat but since it is stretched tight it catches stuff. I mostly put it up to keep my small dogs from going overboard via that route, but it has kept other items on board when they would have gone over without the netting.
Regards,
John Watts
Gold Looper 10/11/16
http://c2ccruises.blogspot.com/
deising
admiral
admiral

Post by deising »

We had a custom canvas guy make some screens from a fairly fine weave nylon, but it doesn't need to be that fine. The upper screen guarding stuff from falling off the seat (or out of someone's pocket) is attached under the seat itself and then with snaps to the rear of the horizontal backrest. The underneath one attaches with snaps on the crossbar under the seat and twist-lock fasteners in the fiberglass.

Both screens have saved some gear several times, we are sure.

BTW, we also have a deep rectangular pouch of the same material on the port side that is really handy for stowing things like an extra line, gloves, flip-flops, boat soap, body-wash for outside showers, etc. At least, that is what is in ours.
Attachments
Diva Di mesh under stern bench.jpg
Diva Di mesh under stern bench 2.jpg
Duane Ising
m/v Diva Di
Punta Gorda, FL
2006 PDQ MV 34 - hull 91, 75HP, 3-blade
AMCarter3
admiral
admiral

Post by AMCarter3 »

Duane, that is excellent. Thanks.

John... could you describe the size of holes in your netting? Better yet, could you send some photos?
Mac Carter
AMCarter3
admiral
admiral

Post by AMCarter3 »

In case anyone is interested, here are photos of the netting I added to our aft seat. This 20"x84" netting (along with snaps and hooks) was purchased from OrganizedObie.com <http://www.organizedobie.com/products?product_id=3280>. Total cost was about $135.
Attachments
IMG_2662.jpg
IMG_2661.jpg
Mac Carter
deising
admiral
admiral

Post by deising »

Looks good. Mac.
Duane Ising
m/v Diva Di
Punta Gorda, FL
2006 PDQ MV 34 - hull 91, 75HP, 3-blade
Spoff4
1st mate
1st mate

Post by Spoff4 »

On Tampa Girl we use the this netting from West Marine. Lifeline Netting, 10'L x 2'H
Model # 119669 | Mfg # 126 | UPC # 25282005048.
Its secured with a small diameter rope around the perimeter, including across the bottom. Lasts about 4 years before destroyed by the sun. Paid for itself 10X over by saving gear that would otherwise be gone.
Attachments
TG netting.png
TG netting.png (107.49 KiB) Viewed 8652 times
George and Anita, Paul and Susan
Tampa Girl
MV 34 Hull #60
Tampa, Fl