Replacing house batteries

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
rhumbline2
deckhand
deckhand

Re: Replacing house batteries

Postby rhumbline2 » Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:03 pm

Yes, I ran the large wires from the breaker. I'm no electrician, but I do know that larger wires for long runs is better. I used extra large wires. Like most projects involving boats, it was a chore, however, I found the difference it made to be considerable. Hope this helps.

James Mills
Hull #27
Rhumbline

deising
admiral
admiral

Re: Replacing house batteries

Postby deising » Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:18 am

In Sep 2016, Mac Carter wrote that he was replacing the house batteries with AGMs with a goal of being able to go three days at anchor before having to recharge.

Having cruised approximately 500 days/nights on our PDQ in less than 4 years, I find that our 4 Trojan T-145 flooded wet cell batteries generally do fine overnight after shutting down with a 95% to full charge early afternoon. Adding the 360W solar panel array above the aft Bimini in summer of 2017 helped that even more, but it would be the rare day that we could sit at anchor without running the generator for 45 minutes in the morning.

So, we would never consider going more than 1 day without running the generator or running the boat to a new destination for 3-4 hours for an alternator recharge. Therefore, my question - Mac, how is your new setup working out compared to your goals and expectations?
Duane Ising
m/v Diva Di
Punta Gorda, FL
2006 PDQ MV 34 - hull 91, 75HP, 3-blade

Return to “PDQ Powercat Forum”