10 Year maintenance issues

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
AlanH
admiral
admiral

10 Year maintenance issues

Post by AlanH »

Hi All,

Our boat is a 2006 34 which we have had for a year. We have a dripless seal with a tiny leak and a hose with an occasional drip. It is clear some, if not most of the hoses are original. We are considering having all hoses and any needed stainless pipes, etc. replaced. We would also do any other preventive service necessary at the same time. We will also be getting the bottom painted. We know it will be costly but it will give us peace of mind, Has anyone done this? If so any ballpark price or recommendations for other work? We are thinking f taking it to Stuart Yacht Harbor for the work. Any thoughts?
Alan Hendry
Catbo
2006 34' Hull #81
75hp engines
AMCarter3
admiral
admiral

Re: 10 Year maintenance issues

Post by AMCarter3 »

We are just completing our annual haulout now. Same boat - 2006 34' PDQ. Our situation is a bit different from most PDQ owners in that our boat is part of a fleet of sail and power charter boats in Bellingham, WA (San Juan Yachting <http://sanjuansailing.com/charter-detai ... .php?id=35>. As part of our charter leasing contract, we are required to maintain our boat in "As New" condition; and have a contract with a professional boat maintenance company. The work done included the following performed by the shipyard and two specialty contractors (striping and stainless railing repair).

1) bottom painting
2) repair a variety of gelcoat spider cracks
3) repair various fiberglass stress cracks & "dings" (bow area)
4) wash (stain removal soap), wax and polish (2 passes) entire hull and superstructure
5) replace hull "boot" striping (4" & 1/2")
6) repair damaged starboard aft stanchion railing (replace a section of stainless piping; straightened bent stanchion)
7) repair port prop (fix "ding") and patch hull from grounding damage

The total cost of this list of projects was around $7,500. In addition, I've invested something like 175-200 hours of my time plus more time (at our expense) with my maintenance "pro" working on a wide variety of projects mostly INSIDE the boat. We did not need to replace engine hoses. My projects covered things like:

1) De-rust all 8 engine mounts (Corroseal) and paint with black anti-rust enamel
2) Replace starboard broken engine through-hull valve handle
3) Install two 8" cleats on stern (for better securing the dinghy)
4) Replace all 12V outlets with USB outlets
5) Clean BBQ unit
6) Install hot/cold shut-off valves for exterior shower hoses
7) Repair leak and gelcoat spider cracks in head sink
8- Fix drain leak and secure drain pump in head shower
9) Replace old Clarion AM/FM/CD radio with new West Marine 4000 AM/FM/MP3/Bluetooth radio
10) Rebuild stern tie rig
11) Install fender holders on bow railings
12) Clean / repair / maintain all rubber gaskets (engine compartment, windows, etc.)
14) Rebuild Princess 2-burner cooktop so ignitors work.
15) Create better method for securing dinghy with X-design tie-off lines with quick release carabiners
16) Apply anti-fouling paint to both props and rudders
17) Repair "dings" and re-varnish salon table and galley and salon floor boards
18) Replace wood covers for both engine compartments
19) Lubricating all thru-hull valves (2-person job)
20) Install custom netting under aft bench and behind seat on aft bench
21) Remove old Bimini stainless piping structure; patch mounting holes (we are having a stronger 2-part Bimini installed later this month - $6000)
22) Replace faulty DC Power panel dial
23) Replace corroded AC outlets behind lower helm and on Flybridge
24) etc., etc. (the list never ends)

Hope this detail helps...
Mac Carter
2006 34' PDQ PowerCat "All Heart"; MV 98; twin 100 HP Yanmars
Home Port: Bellingham WA 98229
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

if you need work done, you can trust stuart yachts to do a good job. also, give james power a call.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
AlanH
admiral
admiral

Post by AlanH »

Thanks for the detailed reply Mac. Sounds like you have done a lot of work.

John, thanks for the word on Stuart. I will be at the owners meeting next week so I will try to get some information while I am there.
Alan Hendry
Catbo
2006 34' Hull #81
75hp engines
John&Ria
admiral
admiral

Post by John&Ria »

Our 2007 PDQ is in its tenth year and has traveled more than 13,000 miles. During last year's annual maintenance we had the cutlass bearings and shaft seals replaced and the shafts and props serviced. Although replacement of the cutlass bearings was the primary need, because of the boats age and mileage we felt it would be wise to service the entire running gear. A planned excursion to Alaska in 2017 was also a motivating factor.

The cost for this work in Vancouver - including third party tune-ups of the shafts and props - was about $5500 CDN. Based on past experience I expect the cost would be considerably less in Florida.

Regarding replacement of hoses, in 2016 we also had the (believed to be original) cooling water pipes replaced on both engines. The catalyst was a significant coolant leak on one engine's forward hose, caused by it rubbing against the belt. Our mechanic also installed a missing clip (available from Yanmar) that should prevent this from recurring. The cost for this work was $700 US.

Hope this helps.....

John
AlanH
admiral
admiral

Post by AlanH »

Thanks for the information John.
Alan Hendry
Catbo
2006 34' Hull #81
75hp engines
Gusto
skipper
skipper

Post by Gusto »

You should have Stuart Yachts install intermediate cutlass bearings. Our shaft seals leaked when we bought Gusto, 2006#83. That was 3 years ago. Stuart Yachts installed intermediate bearings. Since then they haven't leaked a drop. The shafts as built are at their maximum length between supports per current standards. The intermediate support that Stuart Yachts installs is located very close to half the shaft length which noticeably stabilizes the shafts.
AlanH
admiral
admiral

Post by AlanH »

Thanks, it is my understanding the intermediate Shaft brings were installed by the prior owner.
Alan Hendry
Catbo
2006 34' Hull #81
75hp engines