Thru Hull Transducer

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
island time
deckhand
deckhand

Thru Hull Transducer

Post by island time »

Where would be a good location for a thru hull transducer, Is there a void under the storage compartments in the hulls or is that the bottom of the hull
Vinnie L 2002 PDQ Powercat 34 Hull #18
duetto
admiral
admiral

Re: Thru Hull Transducer

Post by duetto »

the bottom of the storage compartment is the hull. it's all a box frame bonded to the hull.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
AlanH
admiral
admiral

Post by AlanH »

In our 2006, the boat came from the factory with a thru hull transducer. It is located in the forward galley area in the storage area beneath the refrigerator. When it began to have some intermittent issues I put a separate, inexpensive Hawkeye Depth Finder in as a backup. It has a shoot thru the hull transducer which I put in the starboard hull in the bathroom very close to to the pump overboard valve. It works well there. It came with a 30 foot cable which just made it to the flybridge where I wanted to mount it.

About 6 months ago the original transducer failed completely so I put in a shoot thru the hull transducer in until we have the boat hauled which is planned for April. I could not get to work in the area near the original or in the kitchen floor storage so I wound up putting it much further aft than desirable. It is in the floor storage area in the port stateroom. It works fine except for being so far aft. We will put in a new thru the hull transducer in the original location when the boat comes out next month.
Alan Hendry
Catbo
2006 34' Hull #81
75hp engines
wrnole
deckhand
deckhand

Post by wrnole »

Sending you a PM.

Richard
Hull #24
Spoff4
1st mate
1st mate

Post by Spoff4 »

We installed a 527ID Furuno In-Hull (shoot through hull) transducer 1kW broad band 50/200 KHz in the area below the covering board in the head. Works great.
George and Anita, Paul and Susan
Tampa Girl
MV 34 Hull #60
Tampa, Fl
Gusto
skipper
skipper

Post by Gusto »

We installed a Garmin shoot through the hull transducer in the starboard hull in the compartment under the head compartment. Works great. Now we have a transducer in both hulls.

Bob MacNeill
Gusto
wrnole
deckhand
deckhand

Post by wrnole »

Bob,

Did you run the wiring to the flybridge, lower helm or both? Could you please describe the route from the transducer?

Richard
Soul Sauce
Gusto
skipper
skipper

Post by Gusto »

Richard,
I ran it to the lower helm, and tied it into a NMEA 2000 cable, then to the upper helm. The chase to the bridge is kinda crowded so I pushed a plumbers snake down the chase , taped the cable to the snake and pulled it up to the bridge. Not too tough. Now I have a Garmin NMEA multi function cable routed to both helms for use when the Raymarine stuff dies. (I hope it's soon.)
Bob
AlanH
admiral
admiral

Post by AlanH »

Richard,

When I cabled my second depth finder it was from the floor of the bathroom to the flybridge. It was purely a stand alone backup depth finder. I took the shelf out under the sink and the medicine cabinet out. Go to the cabinet closest to the helm in the stateroom on the starboard side of the boat and take out the small section in the forward area of the cabinet. All of these are a few screws each.

Back in the bathroom, you can work the cable from the floor, up the wall to behind the medicine cabinet. There are two chases (basically plastic downspouts you would see on a house. Use an electrician's snake from the stateroom end and fish it to the bathroom, tape the cable to it securily and with someone feeding from the bathroom, pull it back to the stateroom. You can get a cheap electrician's snake from Home Depot.

Then feed the cable from the stateroom to the main electrical area under the lower helm. In the electrical area there are couple more chases that go up to the flybridge area. It seems to me they were very full making it a bit more difficult but run the cable through them to the flybridge. Pull from the flybridge end. I put the depth finder near the E80 which took just about all of the 30 foot cable that came with the depth finder.

There is a power block under the flybridge dash area so the power can come from up there.
Alan Hendry
Catbo
2006 34' Hull #81
75hp engines
wrnole
deckhand
deckhand

Post by wrnole »

Thanks Bob & Alan for the info. We utilized the chase from the lower helm to the flybridge to run a new wire to the port tacho. Wasn't sure about the chase from the head to the lower helm/flybridge.

Richard