Cooktop replacement?

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
AMCarter3
admiral
admiral

Cooktop replacement?

Post by AMCarter3 »

Our original 2-burner LP gas Princess cooktop is giving us all kinds of problems. We've spent gobs of time and $$$ trying to fix it. We've decided to replace it. Any suggestions for a better quality, more reliable, same size 2-burner LP gas cooktop? (The glass surface size is 12" x 21")
Mac Carter
2006 34' PDQ PowerCat "All Heart"; MV 98; twin 100 HP Yanmars
Home Port: Bellingham WA 98229
deising
admiral
admiral

Re: Cooktop replacement?

Post by deising »

With all due respect, Mac, it seems like such a simple appliance. Ours has never given us any problems in about 400 days of use. What problems have you been experiencing?
Duane Ising
m/v Diva Di
Punta Gorda, FL
2006 PDQ MV 34 - hull 91, 75HP, 3-blade
AMCarter3
admiral
admiral

Post by AMCarter3 »

Good question. We've owned our PDQ for about a year. It is in a charter boat business. Over the past year, we and numerous charter guests have had frequent issues with igniting the burners. It's been the source of a lot of complaints. In addition, we frequently have to replace burner knobs... charter guests seem to melt the knobs on a regular basis. This probably would not happen if we were the only people using the boat, but that is not the case. The fact is, the knobs are located too close to the burners.

Since we are in a charter business, I asked our maintenance pro, who is a the lead technician for the premier Grand Banks Dealer in our area, to fix it. He is respected for knowing his stuff. First, this cooktop is no longer sold, however parts are available. So, he rebuilt the guts of the cooktop (at considerable expense) recently. That seemed to work for about a week. After that, it stopped igniting again.

I learned that this cooktop has a poor reputation in the boating industry. It is vulnerable to breakdowns. It is poorly designed; b) cheap in quality; c) parts do not fit together well; and d) the slightest misalignment causes the igniters to stop functioning or work inconsistently. An excess of "jury-rigging" and sheet metal work was needed to put it back together.

The end result, for us, is a cooktop that is difficult and frustrating to use. I'm done with this Princess. I want a cooktop that is built better and functions more reliably.
Mac Carter
SecondWind
admiral
admiral

Post by SecondWind »

Have you consider going electric and using an induction unit. You will need steel cookware if you do, but I have found ours to be extremely easy to use.
Terry Green
s/v Second Wind
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

hi,

over the 12 years we've had our boat we've experienced the failures in the same 2 areas as mac. we've "solved" the igniter by using a propane grill lighter. it's functional but not an optimal solution. we've had a couple of knob melts and that seems to be a function of the large pans. again no good solution.

on another note we have the exact equivalent stove in 110V on another boat. only downside is that if you anchor you're turning on the genset.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
AMCarter3
admiral
admiral

Post by AMCarter3 »

After considerable searching, we found only two cooktops that match the dimensions of the cutout in the galley counter. We ordered the Norcold Top Line 920 Two Burner Propane Cooktop: http://bit.ly/2mZkHiv

The other one that fits is: Dickinson Marine 2-Burner Propane Gas Drop-In Cooker <http://bit.ly/2mZgkE6>
Mac Carter
thinwater
admiral
admiral

Post by thinwater »

Is there a good source for the knobs? I to have had one melted, when the kids were making pancakes on a square griddle. We've learned to use the other burner. A simple barrier would solve the problem. I fixed the knob, but I'd like a spare.

I find I often use a lighter, but the reason is that I forget to turn the breaker on and don't feel like walking!

Mine is 20 years old and has never had a problem, but charter is different. They may break the new stove. It might be smarter to make a nice holder for the lighter. Spill a little food, and most igniters can fail.
Writing full time since 2014.
"Rigging Modern Anchors,"Seaworthy Press, https://www.amazon.com/Rigging-Modern-A ... 1948494078
Book Store. http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/2017/ ... store.html
AMCarter3
admiral
admiral

Post by AMCarter3 »

It is our understanding that Sure Marine in Seattle bought out the entire supply of inventory parts for Princess cooktops after they stop production. That's where we got our knobs. See: http://www.suremarineservice.com/
Mac Carter