Electric gremlin

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
Expatriate
admiral
admiral

Re: Electric gremlin

Post by Expatriate »

That could be the safer approach. Breakers are not too expensive, so I will try that first. Thanks.
Corkboulder
deckhand
deckhand

Post by Corkboulder »

In a pinch and to verify, you could always quickly swap load with another 15A breaker, that would verify that was the source before replacement . As Duane said though breakers do have finite lives, tripping can shorten them.
Kelly C
Bahama Voyager
MV32 #004
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

hi,

one other observation: the genset and shorepower go thru different breakers. not sure how this figures in but it is one difference between what works and what doesn't.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
Expatriate
admiral
admiral

Post by Expatriate »

John and Dianne,

Well, here we go again. We moved from one marina to another. When we plugged in, no problems. The voltage from the dock was 115 instead of 120 at the previous marina. It might have something to do with overall power quality. Possibly, not such a pure sine signature in all locations? In any case, I'm not going to beat this horse any further.

Thanks for your input.

Tim
M/V Expatriate
HN 068
deising
admiral
admiral

Post by deising »

I'm no electrical engineer, but I would imagine all the utility power in the USA is likely to have the same sine wave. Peak voltage where you tap in is another story.

Sounds like it will remain a mystery for a while longer.
Duane Ising
m/v Diva Di
Punta Gorda, FL
2006 PDQ MV 34 - hull 91, 75HP, 3-blade
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

also, water heaters don't care about sine wave. they just use whatever they get.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
chicagocat
admiral
admiral

Post by chicagocat »

Tim,
You may not be getting 120v from shore, even if other boats around you are. The shore power connections here corrode and become big resistors. There's real danger there, as you can start a fire and there's no circuit breaker to do anything about it.

Look at the boat-side shore connection(s) (not the cord). Are there any brown stains?

if so, spend the money and convert to this:

https://smartplug.com/marine/

Brendan
PDQ 36052 - 1996 LRC - "Anne Z" - Chicago
and 2001 PDQ 36 Classic (Tall Rig)- "Cat Tales" - Punta Gorda, FL
Expatriate
admiral
admiral

Post by Expatriate »

Brendan,

I have 120 volts at the panel. My power cord and splitter are new. I think I just have a worn out breaker. The fact that it also blows the main breaker for the whole panel had me worried. After some study, I realized that these are, I think, just magnetic breakers. I do not think they are "arc fault" breakers like are required in commercial solar applications. An arc creates a spike in current that will trip the breaker or damage it. This is typically caused by worn connections or conductors. I have watched the inside of the panel when the breaker trips and have not seen an arc. I am thinking it arcs inside this worn out breaker, creating a current spike that blows the whole panel. Just a theory of course. Simplest thing is to just replace.

Tim