Manasquan to NYC: what acceptable sea conditions for a PDQ 34?

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
leloopeur
deckhand
deckhand

Manasquan to NYC: what acceptable sea conditions for a PDQ 34?

Post by leloopeur »

We are planning to get to NYC by "going out" on the Ocean at Manasquan Inlet on the NJICW. We've started looking at weather forecasts, particularly see conditions, but I'm not sure what I should consider acceptable conditions. Our experience is still limited: we've crossed the Gulf of Mexico from Little Shark River to Marathon, FL with 2-3 ft waves and approximately 10 mph beam winds, and it was a pleasure. The Albermarle Sound had approximately 2 ft short waves right in our nose, and the boat was slamming into them to the point that I preferred to tack NNW and NNE so that I could keep them at a reasonable angle. We had a couple of occasions in the Chesapeake Bay when I had to use the same tactics to keep the boat from bumping too hard into the waves, and keep ourselves comfortable. We just rode the Delaware Bay to Cape May with excellent conditions, roughly West winds under 10 knots leading to less-than-2 ft waves in the last couple of hours, not terribly informative.
So if you had to plan a Manasquan Inlet to NYC run, what kind of weather forecast would you consider acceptable?
Thanks in advance.
Nelly Grangé Cabane
Jacques Kreitmann
m/v Magic
deising
admiral
admiral

Re: Manasquan to NYC: what acceptable sea conditions for a PDQ 34?

Post by deising »

Great question. I can tell you that despite the fact I know wind against current usually produces steep, tall waves, I failed to consider it the last time we exited the Manasquan Inlet (NJ) on our Great Loop. The ebb current was flowing at over 2 kts and there was a somewhat opposing 15-20 kt wind off the ocean. At the end of the inlet, we experienced 5-6 foot standing waves. I muttered to myself, warned my wife, reduced speed to about 5 kts, and we rode like a bucking bronco for a few minutes until we were through and into the ocean where all we had to worry about were 3 footers quartering off the stern as we turned northbound.

So, I don't recommend that you replicate my error. The boat did handle it well, but you better have everything well secured, especially the dinghy. You never want that dinghy swaying athwartship, fore/aft, or even rocking like a cradle. Cross-tie it well. While the visibility is not quite as good, steering from the lower helm makes a lot of difference in comfort when the boat is moving briskly in a seaway. The motion is amplified up top, of course, and just much better below.

We do not find short-period chop, or boat wakes, on the beam to be fun at all. We have surfed 6-8 footers for hours off the stern or quartering. I will leave you with the thought that we would much rather be in our Catalina 36 sailboat in rough seas than our PDQ 34, but so far we have managed well.
Duane Ising
m/v Diva Di
Punta Gorda, FL
2006 PDQ MV 34 - hull 91, 75HP, 3-blade
AMCarter3
admiral
admiral

Post by AMCarter3 »

Duane has described the way this boat handles rough water very well.
Mac Carter
2006 34' PDQ PowerCat "All Heart"; MV 98; twin 100 HP Yanmars
Home Port: Bellingham WA 98229
sailkane
skipper
skipper

Post by sailkane »

We did this trip last year on the way home to Long Island, NY.
15 - 20 knots, 3 - 4 foot waves. Stayed at the lower helm.
Was not the smoothest ride...... but I kept reminding my wife ( and myself) the boat will handle the conditions it's the crew that can't!
After 4.5 Hours headed into Jones Beach inlet safe and sound.
leloopeur
deckhand
deckhand

Post by leloopeur »

Many thanks for your comments. They are in line with what I gathered through various readings and discussions. They confirm my first impressions, particularly that one should be very careful about the tide in the inlets and the way the current is going to meet the incoming seas. Also, the angle with which the waves are coming at you makes a huge difference.
There seems to be a window of opportunity next Saturday with SW winds and SE moderate seas, and the possibility to take the Manasquan inlet in the morning at slack high tide. But it is too much in advance to trust such forecasts, so I'll keep looking at the various weather websites till then.
One last note: I come from a rather long sailing experience, and I would also be more comfortable with a mast above my head :-)
Thanks again,
Jacques
Nelly Grangé Cabane
Jacques Kreitmann
m/v Magic