Storing gasoline, equalizineg batteries

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
jim
1st mate
1st mate

Storing gasoline, equalizineg batteries

Post by jim »

We are still learning our boat and we have a few questions. What is the preferred location to store gasoline for the dinghy's outboard? Is it the starboard forward lazarette or on the floor of the dinghy under the Bimini or someplace else. We were using the fuel tank in the outboard (6 hp Yamaha 4 stroke), but the gas only lasted about half an hour, so I bought a 3 gallon external tank so we wouldn't keep running out of fuel.
When equalizing the house batteries is it sufficient to turn off the starting batteries and generator battery at their respective switches before equalizing?
How do I rotate the image on the GPS monitor to get the direction we are heading at the top of the monitor rather than North? Thanks, Eileen and Jim "Eagle Ei"
mckdj12
thinwater
admiral
admiral

Re: Storing gasoline, equalizineg batteries

Post by thinwater »

1. A bridge deck locker that is sealed from the cabin and that vents overboard.
2. Above decks.

If you have ever had a can leak below deck while you are away from the boat, even the tiniest seep of vapor, will confirm how desperately dangerous and murderously smelly it can be. I made that mistake ONCE, 25 years ago. A tiny leak in a confined space, and my mom very nearly passed out. A spark and I wouldn't be writing. A different boat, but after that, I have never had a jerry can in the cabin or an ordinary locker.

The PDQ 32s have a proper vented cockpit locker. I don't know about the 36s. Should be a standard boat item.
Writing full time since 2014.
"Rigging Modern Anchors,"Seaworthy Press, https://www.amazon.com/Rigging-Modern-A ... 1948494078
Book Store. http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/2017/ ... store.html
deising
admiral
admiral

Post by deising »

Eagle Ei,

Do you have the Raymarine E80 or E120 series chartplotters? On my E120, I use the "soft" buttons at the bottom. I think it is Navigation, then Presentation Options, then you have the choice of N (north), C (course), or H (heading) defining UP on the display. I can't give you exact directions, but that should help you find it. Hopefully, you got a set of manuals for all that stuff with the boat. If not, you can still download a PDF from Raymarine.

As for equalizing the batteries, you will see voltages up to 16 or so, which could damage some DC equipment. It is best to turn off the main DC breaker at the panel during equalization. That means no refrigerator or anything during the process.

Good luck with your boat!
Duane Ising
m/v Diva Di
Punta Gorda, FL
2006 PDQ MV 34 - hull 91, 75HP, 3-blade
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

hi,

get a 6 gal external tank and leave it in the dinghy. that has been enough for us cruising in the abacos. when we go to exumas, where gas fillups are few and far between, we carry an extra 6 gal "jerry" can on the flybridge, outdoors.

probably bad procedure but we have equalized without shutting anything off.

not sure which chartplotter you have. ours is an raymarine rl70c. if that's what you have, press MENU, then CHARTS(softkey), then ORIENTATION(list), choose North|Course|Heads. i'm not on the boat, so this is from memory.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
kjoverbeck
1st mate
1st mate

Post by kjoverbeck »

The starting batteries need to be isolated at the battery combiner. They are sealed batteries and cannot take the high voltage when equalizing. Some combiners have a switch but mine don't. I have to remove the fuse right beside them. The generator battery is a non issue as it is completely separate and is only charged by the generator. I keep my extra gas strapped on the stern seat. we don't sit there and have removed the cushions.

Kent Overbeck
2005 PDQ 34 Rising Tide
deising
admiral
admiral

Post by deising »

Kent brings up an important point I failed to mention. Turning off the switches to the engine start batteries DOES NOT disconnect them from the house bank because the combiner will keep that circuit closed. Thanks, Kent!

That is also true whenever someone is working on an engine's electrical wiring and you want all power off. You must open the circuit at the combiner, too, to make that happen. Then remember to switch the combiner back to auto so it does its job.
Duane Ising
m/v Diva Di
Punta Gorda, FL
2006 PDQ MV 34 - hull 91, 75HP, 3-blade
jim
1st mate
1st mate

Post by jim »

5/27/17 Thank you Thinwater, John, Duane and Kent. I'll give it a try. Jim "Eagle Ei" MV34.
mckdj12
MikeH
admiral
admiral

Post by MikeH »

I'm getting ready to equalize batteries for the first time. I'll turn off the 12v Panel.

I have a Pathmaker Combiner. Do I need to physically disconnect the starting batteries, or will switching the Combiner "Off" work ?
Attachments
20220407_105544.jpg
Mike Hendry
M/V Easy Riders, Gulfport FL
2003 PDQ MV 34
The Legendary Hull #29
75 HP, 3 Blade
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

by putting the combiner sw in "no combine" position you're ok. no green light on combiner.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
MikeH
admiral
admiral

Post by MikeH »

Thanks John !
Mike Hendry
M/V Easy Riders, Gulfport FL
2003 PDQ MV 34
The Legendary Hull #29