Cabin window treatments

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
Ortolan
skipper
skipper

Cabin window treatments

Post by Ortolan »

Looking at replacing our curtains with more modern pleated shades. Two issues come up:

Unless you use RV style shades (which have strings coming down under tension to hold the shades taut), how do you prevent clanging of the shades with wakes at anchor?

What do you do about the angle of the windows near the front windshields?

Photos would be great!
Russ
Twin Sisters
PRIOR Owners of a 2006 MV34
www.esc-pod.com
deising
admiral
admiral

Re: Cabin window treatments

Post by deising »

Russ,

Our boat came with pleated curtains that slide on tracks top and bottom from the center of each of the four side windows to the sides of the windows. I could not get a good photo of the curtains while open due to camera exposure with the bright and dark.

We like them because you can simply open or close them in seconds and they lend a nice decorative touch, too.
Attachments
20170605_071343.jpg
Duane Ising
m/v Diva Di
Punta Gorda, FL
2006 PDQ MV 34 - hull 91, 75HP, 3-blade
wrnole
deckhand
deckhand

Post by wrnole »

Our side window treatments are similar to those on "Diva Di." The front windows have exterior covers made from Phifertex. But, it only blocks out 70% of light, so we also have interior covers made of blackout lining. They attach to the window frames with velcro. They are easy to remove and put back, they provide privacy, and help block out heat.

Richard
"Soul Sauce" Hull #24
wrnole
deckhand
deckhand

Post by wrnole »

The photo shows both window coverings.
Richard
"Soul Sauce" Hull #24
Interior Curtains.jpg
Gusto
skipper
skipper

Post by Gusto »

Visibility is very good from the PDQ lower helm. The lower helm is where we control the boat when conditions are too severe to be at the upper helm, i.e. rain, rough seas, etc. In those situations good visibility is critical. Permanent curtains create blind areas which severely reduce forward visibility. PDQ's with permanent curtains that slide on a horizontal track do not come close to meeting the visibility from the helm requirements in ABYC H-1, therefore they are a safety issue.

We have blinds that raise and store in the recess above the windows. See attached photos. They are completely out of the way when in the up position. Yes, there is a small triangular section of window forward that is not covered. We don't worry about it. That area could be covered with a small removable piece of fabric.

Bob MacNeill
Gusto
Attachments
Window shades closeup.JPG
Window shades - 1.JPG
Ortolan
skipper
skipper

Post by Ortolan »

Bob-

These "pleated" style of shades is what we were originally looking for ...

Are they "RV" style with cords coming down to the bottom of the window to keep them taut & reduce swinging/banging with wakes, or

Are they ordinary household shades? If so, how do you handle wakes? We mostly anchor out so we're concerned about swinging/banging.

Thanks.
Russ
Twin Sisters
PRIOR Owners of a 2006 MV34
www.esc-pod.com
deising
admiral
admiral

Post by deising »

Bob, I guess from all the years of helming a sailboat where I had to look past the dodger supports, mast, dorades, etc., I simply learned to keep moving my head so that I could always see properly. Does ABYC have any comments on the wide mullions between the forward windows?
Duane Ising
m/v Diva Di
Punta Gorda, FL
2006 PDQ MV 34 - hull 91, 75HP, 3-blade
jbrad
skipper
skipper

Post by jbrad »

Hi all,

We have been thinking of going to CloZures shades. I am attaching a link. What are your thoughts on these? Anyone using them?

http://www.zarcor.com/products/clozures/#gal-image-0

Thanks,

Jimmy B
Mr Busy
MV034
MR BUSY
Gusto
skipper
skipper

Post by Gusto »

Russ,
Our shades don't ride on cords attached to whatever at the bottom. The cords are internal & kinda spring loaded up & allow the shade to retract with a gentle push. The bottom rail of the shade tucks neatly behind the cherry "keeper" so the shade doesn't swing. We anchor most of the time. No problems with swinging shades.

Duane,
The forward mullions do not meet the ABYC H-1 standard. The side mullions do. I hear you about lousy sailboat visibility, but that doesn't make it right especially for a boat like ours that regularly travels 3 times the speed of the sailboat. It's just too easy to miss a fast approaching boat at a constant bearing, especially on the ICW on weekends.

Jimmy B,
The Clozures look cool but it appears that they obstruct 50% of the visibility when open. I sure wouldn't do it on my boat.

Bob MacNeill
Gusto