30A shore power receptacles on boat

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
deising
admiral
admiral

30A shore power receptacles on boat

Post by deising »

I did a search on 'receptacles' and found nothing relevant, so...

I recently had a malfunction of one of the legs on the shore power connection and it damaged both the boat receptacle and the cord. Thankfully, no fire, but I will need to replace both ASAP.

It was my fallback position that since we run the boat on just one 30A cord, managing loads as needed, I could simply plug a good power cord into the number two shore power receptacle and be able to run the boat systems. When I looked at the panel, however, it was clear that you can parallel shore power 2 circuits to shore power 1 with only #1 plugged in, but you cannot do that if you try to use shore power 2 as your only source. That is because the switch lockout only allow either shore power 2 to feed its dedicated circuits, OR you can feed #2 circuits from shore power 1, but you cannot have both.

I feel embarrassed for not noticing that earlier. I just thought I would mention it in case it ever becomes an issue for anyone else.
Duane Ising
m/v Diva Di
Punta Gorda, FL
2006 PDQ MV 34 - hull 91, 75HP, 3-blade
AMCarter3
admiral
admiral

Re: 30A shore power receptacles on boat

Post by AMCarter3 »

Good to know, Duane. Thanks for sharing.
Mac Carter
2006 34' PDQ PowerCat "All Heart"; MV 98; twin 100 HP Yanmars
Home Port: Bellingham WA 98229