Fresh Water water flow PDQ 34

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
AMCarter3
admiral
admiral

Re: Fresh Water water flow PDQ 34

Post by AMCarter3 »

I don't know how or when or by whom our water filter was installed. I assume it was done by PDQ. It is mounted on the starboard wall in the cabinet underneath the refrigerator/freezer. Water goes directly from the tank through the standard Shurflo 10" 5mil carbon filter to the water pump located under the forward floorboard in the Galley.

Because the Shurflo filter Bypass handle (with the red air purge valve) on the Shurflo water filter is SO hard to turn, I added a cutoff valve to the PEX water line just before the hose enters the water filter. That way I no longer need to turn that handle to "Bypass" to change the filter. And... I'm still looking for a replacement for the Shurflo filter unit.
Mac Carter
2006 34' PDQ PowerCat "All Heart"; MV 98; twin 100 HP Yanmars
Home Port: Bellingham WA 98229
Ross Bowling
admiral
admiral

Post by Ross Bowling »

Vita Bella, Hull 114, came equipped with a water filter and it was just below the refrigerator. PDQ left a cardboard box with 2 water pick up tubes for water tanks in my water tank that were placed there for transportation to PDQ. The ensuing problem of the cardboard falling apart created real issues as you can imagine. We yanked the filter out and have not missed it in 11 years. Took a while to pump all of the disintegrated cardboard out of the tank, but no issues since.

BTW, I have 2 water pick up tubes in case anyone needs one, free for the asking!
Ross Bowling
Nick
admiral
admiral

Post by Nick »

The freshwater pump under the galley floor is making strange noises and not delivering good pressure. Water flow to the pump appears to be good. I’ve had this issue on other boats and easiest solution was always to replace. The current unit is a Jabsco model 32755-0000 with a 5gpm capacity, but it seems that specific model is no longer made. Off course there are plenty of pumps out there, but the tolerances seem particularly acute in this space including an actual circular cut out in the covering floor panel to accommodate the Jabsco strainer. In addition, the mounting plate seems to be smaller than what the mounts on possible replacement pumps I have found seem to need. It seems my options are to look for a smaller Jabsco (less than 5gpm), or install a new pump either outside of the space under the galley floor, or by somehow customizing the space beneath the floor to accommodate the larger form factor.

Has anyone replaced this pump and, if so, what was your solution?
Nick & Barb
Catsaway
2005 PDQ34 #66
AMCarter3
admiral
admiral

Post by AMCarter3 »

I replaced our Jabsco water pump about 2 years ago with a Whale pump (model UF1215). It's working fine.
Mac Carter
Nick
admiral
admiral

Post by Nick »

Thank you for the tip. I found the whale pump 1215, but notice it pumps at 3.2gpm versus the jabsco’s 5gpm. Do you notice the volume difference in operation?
Nick & Barb
Catsaway
2005 PDQ34 #66
AMCarter3
admiral
admiral

Post by AMCarter3 »

It's been a long time since we changed the pump. What I can say is we are completely satisfied with the water pressure and the faucets and shower. No issues at all. Also note that we have a Jabsco Accumnulator tank (Model 30573-0000) also mounted in the same galley bilge to help maintain constant pressure. It is set at approximately 32 PSI to match the water pump.
Mac Carter
AlanH
admiral
admiral

Post by AlanH »

Nick,

We have the 3.2 GPH whale pump and we find it provides plenty of water when working well. We have had some pump failure issues though that I now believe were related to mineral deposits from the water tank. You said you don't think there is a flow problem to the pump. If that is the case then it probably is the pump. I would double check it just to be sure. We had flow, but not good. Check the link below from a separate post I started recently.

http://www.pdqforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=3587

Alan
Alan Hendry
Catbo
2006 34' Hull #81
75hp engines
John&Ria
admiral
admiral

Post by John&Ria »

When our original variable-speed pump began to fail back in 2013 we had James Power install a new constant flow pump, along with an accumulator tank. The pump is from West Marine, model 32620-3000, with a 4.0 GPM rating. We've found this provides enough pressure and flow for our needs. Although it's a bit noisy, it's been trouble free since it was installed.
DickTuschick
skipper
skipper

Post by DickTuschick »

Hello Bill,
To answer your question I believe all 05 boats came with a large white GE sediment filter that was located under the refrigerator.If you do not have one on your boat it was probably removed by a previous owner. The filters are not a bad idea as the aluminum tanks to cause a build up of sand like sediment as a result of interaction between chemicals found in water supplies and the aluminum. I make it a point to vacuum out our tank once a year and change the filter at the same time. Also note that if you have one of these filters you cannot use a fine carbon filter as it restricts the flow to the pressure pump and will cause the pump not to work effectively. Only use the most course filter available.
AMCarter3
admiral
admiral

Post by AMCarter3 »

Bill,

To add to Dick's comments... I replaced our original water filter with a "Yacht-Mate Clear Sump" unit 2 years ago because the bypass valve on the orginal unit leaked. I've been using a standard 10.5” 5-Micron pleated carbon water filter cartridge. We do not have any water pressure issues as long as the filter is relatively new and "clean". What we do find is that carbon filters seem to encourage bacterial algae growth fairly fast -- a mucky, slimy, crud gradually builds up on the filter after about 3 months regardless of the amount of use. I've read articles that this is common with carbon filters. Note that I operate in a cool climate (Pacific Northwest). I imagine this crud grows faster in a warm climate. Because of this, I plan to switch soon to synthetic filters. We do NOT use bleach in our tank and therefore there is no any need for a carbon filter to eliminate the smell/taste of bleach. (We do not use bleach because it has a corrosive effect on aluminum.)
Mac Carter
Nick
admiral
admiral

Post by Nick »

We have great water pressure in shower and head sink, but not the galley sink. Have checked the screen at the faucet handle and not found any blockage and checked for obvious obstructions under the sink itself. Nothing. Is there an easy possible explanation for significantly different pressures at one faucet versus another or am I on the road to tracing piping all the way through the boat?
Nick & Barb
Catsaway
2005 PDQ34 #66
Nick
admiral
admiral

Post by Nick »

“Solved” my issue by finding a second small screen filter where handle hose connects to main pipes. Wonder why it’s necessary insofar as there’s already a screen filter in the head of the handle. I cleaned and replaced it, but am debating simply removing it absent some great answer as to why it’s necessary.
Nick & Barb
Catsaway
2005 PDQ34 #66